Updating formula based upon relative reference to last updated row

kidmullet1

Hi

I have what I'm sure is a fairly easy question to answer. It relates to updating the cell reference within a formula so that it updates every time a new row is updated.

Now for the hard part - explaining the problem clearly!

I have a budget that I would like to manage evenly over the period of a month (ie spend an equal amount each of 30 days). In order to monitor delivery I have a simple table in which I enter the daily delivery against the date in a separate column. In the next column I simply list numbers 1-30 so I can work out target delivery at each stage. Then a column which simply displays the cumulative delivery. Finally, I have a column showing my average daily spend.

So my question is this - if I get to say the 15th day of a 30 day month and my budget is £30,000, I should have spent £15,000. Therefore, the average daily spend is £1,000 meaning at a daily delivery rate of £1,000 I have 15 days budget remaining.

BUT what if I get to the 15th and I have spent £25,000?
I would like a formula to alert me that if I continue at this avg. daily delivery rate (£1,666 p/d), I only have 3 days worth of budget left!

http://s1179.photobucket.com/albums/x384/happinessstan2/?action=view&current=excel.jpg

I hope I explained myself clearly enough but please let me know if you require any clarification.

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Hi,

Try the following (borrowing from this great tip on referencing the last cell in a column - http://excel.tips.net/T002103_Referencing_the_Last_Cell_in_a_Column.html):

I couldn't quite tell from the image which cells you were using but assuming you have a blank worksheet:

• Cells B6 - B36 contain the numbers 1-31
  • Cells C6 - C36 contain dates e.g. 01-Aug-11 to 31-Aug-11
  • In D6 enter =TEXT($C6,"ddd") and drag down to D36 (these are the days)
  • E6 - E36 are the cells to enter the costs in for each day
  • In F6 enter =IF(ISBLANK($E6),#N/A,SUM($E$6:$E6)) and drag down to F36 (this is the cumulative spend)
  • In G6 enter =IF(ISBLANK($E6),#N/A,AVERAGE($E$6:$E6)) and drag down to G36 (this is the average daily spend)
  • In H6 enter the budget (e.g. £30,000)
  • In I6 (the remaining budget) enter =$H$6-INDIRECT("F"&COUNTA($E$6:$E$36)+5)
  • In J6 (days left) enter =$I$6/INDIRECT("G"&COUNTA($E$6:$E$36)+5)
  • In K6 (days short) enter =COUNTA(INDIRECT("C"&COUNTA($E$6:$E$36)+6):$C$36)-$J$6
To adjust this for a 30 day month, for example, you would delete the contents of cells B36 to G36.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farhansadik

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back