Updating "sum_range" dependent on cell value

harpzd

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere in some way but I've been trawling through the forum for the better part of an hour so and I'm no closer to solving my issue!

I'm in the middle of creating a dashboard to show validations/compliance fails for recent sales activity.

What I'm looking for help with is changing the "sum_range" (in a named table) in a "SUMIFS" formula dependant on the text in another cell.

For example:

=SUMIFS(data_responses[REFERENCE TO CELL],criteriarange1,criteria1 etc etc) with data_responses being my data table.

Essentially I have 7 types of "validation":
  1. Data_Responses[Upfront Costs Fail]
  2. Data_Responses[Setup & Contact Fail]
  3. Data_Responses[PP & Contract length fail]
  4. etc

If I have a cell which contains text or a formula which equals the column reference as above is there a way that I can use the cell as a reference to determine the "sum_range"?

The current formula is below:

=SUMIFS(Data_Responses[Upfront Costs Fails],Data_Responses[Month Number],BG$33,Data_Responses[Year Number],BG$34,Data_Responses[Region],G40),

BG33 is a month number
BG34is the year number
G40 is the region name

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Welcome to the Board!

When building range references dynamically for formulas, you need to use the INDIRECT function.
See: INDIRECT Function

Upvote 0
Hi and welcome to the board.

Here is another option, where A1 is the cell reference that contains the heading for the column that you want to sum.

Rich (BB code):
=SUMIFS(INDEX(Data_Responses,0,MATCH(A1,Data_Responses[#Headers],0)),Data_Responses[Month Number],BG$36,Data_Responses[Year Number],BG$37,Data_Responses[Region],G43)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

you may be able to use an indirect()

=SUMIFS(Data_Responses[Upfront Costs Fails],Data_Responses[Month Number],BG$33,Data_Responses[Year Number],BG$34,Data_Responses[Region],G40),
change to
=SUMIFS(indirect(data_responses[REFERENCE TO CELL]),Data_Responses[Month Number],BG$33,Data_Responses[Year Number],BG$34,Data_Responses[Region],G40),

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back