Updating tables but keeping rows together

ArtofExcel

I have a table that daily updates from an SQL server, this is then pulled into a new excel document through a Microsoft query. The rows of data can be deleted or updated daily on the SQL server. In the final excel document I added a few columns where where specifications are input using a data validation list so the data can be sorted into other tables. Each row has a unique indicator in one of the columns. But whenever I update the table the manually input specifications do not follow the SQL data as I had hoped so each one would have to be reset daily. Is there any way to make the manual inputs follow the imported data dynamically until the row its associated with is deleted in the SQL server or is filtered out by the query? I'd greatly appreciate any assistance in figuring this out.

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Use a separate table to log the manually input specifications along with a unique identifier that comes from the SQL data source.

You can then change your current table to VLOOKUPs so that no matter what row the record is moved too the correct specs will get allocated to it.

Ideally, you would get a custom table (for the input specs) added to your database and the SQL query would perform the JOIN.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juliecooper255

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back