Upgraded from ver 2007 > 365, shocked at how sluggish it is (!?)

d0rian

Office Version
  1. 365
I finally got around to upgrading from sturdy ver 2007 to 365 (a little unclear whether that means it's 2016 or 2019?), long overdue since I know 2007 is no longer supported by MS and I've been told that there have been a ton of feature and performance improvements.

But my working .xlsm file, particularly the macros, are incredibly laggy. Yes it's a large file (17MB) that pulls in real-time data for hundreds of stock symbols and runs a bunch of calculations and conditional formatting in the background, but performance in 2007 was decent...it's borderline unusable when opened in the new 365 Excel. Just one example: I have a simple listbox and a mouse macro to cycle through the ~20 listbox items...it took approx 1/4 of a second to cycle to the next listbox item with a mouse click in 2007. It's closer to 1.25s (5x slower) in 365. I wasn't sure if I should expect improved performance over a 12-year-old version, but I certainly didn't expect such a step backwards. Q's:
  • Is this a known performance issue...? Is there something about how 365 handles calculations or macros or conditional formatting that's dramatically different than in previous versions?
  • What options can I toggle in 365 in hopes of either improvement performance or at least troubleshooting? So far, I've:
    • Options...Ease of Access...Unchecked "Provide Feedback with Animation", since I found the default "glide" / animation effect annoying
    • Options...Advanced...Checked "DIsable Hardware Graphics Acceleration", since online reading suggested that disabling it could improve performance but I didn't notice anything.
  • Something I wondered: would recreating this file as a native 365 file starting with a blank 365 .xlsm workbook result in better performance? IOW, I created this starting from a blank 2007 Workbook, and while obviously 365 is backwards compatible with .xlsm files created in previous versions, is there something about a native-to-365 .xlsm file that would, for some reason, result in better performance?

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Bumping hoping for some help. I did some more research last night and turned up a ton of results from other people complaining of the same thing: that 365 seemed agonizingly slower than the 2007/2010 versions they were upgrading from, esp re: running VBA (my plight exactly).
- Some suggested trying the 32-bit version of 365 instead of the 64-bit; installed that but didn't notice anything
- A couple others made mention of what I asked in my 3rd bullet point in the OP: that files created in prior versions of Excel were compatible / could be opened and edited in 365, but they felt performance was much worse (than had they created them natively in 365)...but this seemed like mostly conjecture.

In short, it felt like the blind leading the blind out there, which is why I was hoping a more informed mind in this Excel power-user community could provide some insight.

Upvote 0
Cross posted Upgraded from 2007 to 365 and my VBA runs much, much slower.

While we do allow Cross-Posting on this site, we do ask that you please mention you are doing so and provide links in each of the threads pointing to the other thread (see rule 13 here along with the explanation: Forum Rules). This way, other members can see what has already been done in regards to a question, and do not waste time working on a question that may already be answered.

Upvote 0
Thanks for updating with the link - i was unaware of the policy, though that other board has the same policy, and i have added a cross-post link to this thread over there as well.

Upvote 0
One bump hoping for some help; it seemed from my research that this was a widely-documented phenomenon, so I figured there'd likely be some smart folks on Excel-specific forums like this one who had some ideas for performance improvement or troubleshooting...:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back