Upgrading to Win 10 & Office 365

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am finally ready to move all of my Excel files, along with dozens & dozens of UDFs in multiple add-in modules, over from my creaky old XP machine running Office 2007 to my shiny new Win 10 machine running Office 365.

Do I need to do anything more than move the add-in modules and then the files?

Where are the add-in modules on XP? I have a lot of exported copies in subfolders under C:\Program Files\VBA Archive\Excel, but these are not the actual modules.

Where is the recommended place to put the add-in modules on the Win 10 machine?

If there is a step-by-step guide to doing this, please point me to it.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
PS: Would it be better for me to export each code module to a .bas file, copy that over to the Win 10 machine, open up the VBA IDE, create new code modules there, and import the archives? I want to make sure that the hundreds of workbooks will all work without me having to open each one and point it at the Win 10 code modules.

PPS: I assume that those workbooks that have their own code modules (.xlsm) will continue to work without any extra tweaking by me. If this is not so, what do I have to do to make that happen?

Upvote 0
I'd say back it all up to two memory sticks, then copy across what you need, as for where it all has gone, there will be default paths highlighted on the web, but it won't guarantee that stuff that is wanted didn't get into other folders.
I like bas files
If your new install is 64bit that might add a few spanners

Upvote 0
Similar to what Mole has indicated. When I upgraded, I transferred all my files to Dropbox, disengaged the sync from the old PC and then re-engaged the sync with then new PC. Worked easily and never lost a file or Macro. Most of my VBA is stored in my Personal.xlsb which I backed up to Dropbox.

Upvote 0
I'd say back it all up to two memory sticks, then copy across what you need,
I was able to share the XP C-disk on our LAN so I can copy files & folders over as I need them. :giggle:

as for where it all has gone, there will be default paths highlighted on the web, but it won't guarantee that stuff that is wanted didn't get into other folders.
I created a new add-in on the new machine. When I saved it as an .xlam file, it changed the path to:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\AddIns

So that's where I copied my add-in files. They seem to be working. :love:

What the heck is "roaming"?

If your new install is 64bit that might add a few spanners
Is that limey for throwing a monkey wrench in the works? It is a 64 bit system. What problems might I encounter?

Upvote 0
Similar to what Mole has indicated. When I upgraded, I transferred all my files to Dropbox, disengaged the sync from the old PC and then re-engaged the sync with then new PC. Worked easily and never lost a file or Macro. Most of my VBA is stored in my Personal.xlsb which I backed up to Dropbox.
As I told Mole, I was able to share the C-Disk o the LAN.

I just learned about Personal.xlsb. All my code is in add-in modules.

Upvote 0
It is a 64 bit system. What problems might I encounter?
Hi Jennifer, it is not the System bitness but the version of Excel. Excel comes in 32bit and 64bit these days.
The only real difference from a coding point of view is you need to declare some variables differently (mainly API's).
If you have 32bit Excel on a 64bit system there aren't any extra coding differences.

Upvote 0
Hi Jennifer, it is not the System bitness but the version of Excel. Excel comes in 32bit and 64bit these days.
The only real difference from a coding point of view is you need to declare some variables differently (mainly API's).
If you have 32bit Excel on a 64bit system there aren't any extra coding differences.
According to File | Account | About Excel, I have the 32 bit version of Excel 365. So I guess my worries are over, right? :unsure:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back