Uploading and downloading excel (csv) files from a cloud provider (google drive, dropbox, etc). using VBA (Options?)

RawlinsCross

So here's my dilemma. I'm built a membership organizer for a charity I belong to. You can add members and the like, change their emails, email out updates on charity events - simple stuff like that. This is a very low-cost charity (no budget) and there are 2-3 laptops that some of the executive have. There is no server folder system I can avail of but they do have a gmail account so by extensive a google drive.

So to further my dilemma - I built the application and gave it to three people with three laptops that are all independent of each other. If one person adds a member, then that person either has to send an updated copy to the other two users to replace their versions (to include the new member). This is really not very efficient.

I'd like some way to move the updated membership registry (perhaps in csv form) to some online location (google drive, dropbox, or any other option if you know of one) when some change is made. Then when the other two user computers open their versions it gets automatically updated.

Any thoughts on what direction I should be going in here?

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
I did not look at any links but it seems that there are several explanations of the process to modify files on Google Drive.

Check out THIS LINK for example.

If that works then no need to download/upload the file. The only challenge is if two of the three users tries to modify the file at the same time. For local files you cannot open an already open file as I recall. I presume that the same should apply to on-line files.

Upvote 0
Solution
Hey Jim, the main application will be on the local computers, I want to upload a data csv of that main application so that everyone is working with the same data - my point is that the data push and pull will be very fast as 1000 computers with the app can be using it at the same time pushing and pull data.

The link you sent looks very promising - thanks for sending my way.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back