URGENT: Data Validation to prevent entry of multiple dates in the same row

lucy61176

I used the following formula for data validation of 2 cells in the same row but now I need to know how to write the formula for 3 cells. My goal is to prevent the user from entering more than one date in the same row.

Data Validation for C11
=G11=""

Data Validation for G11
=C11=""

I need to get this worksheet working by the end of the day, so any help you can provide is GREATLY appreciated! Thank you

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Hi luck,

You can use below formula in custom category under data validation:-
=COUNTIF(11:11,G11)<4

You can also copy across this formula in entire row 11 and this validation will not allow a same date to be entered in row 11 more than 3 times.

Regards,
DILIPandey

Upvote 0
Thank you, but I am not looking for duplication of the same date. What I want is if the user enters a date in A11, they get an alert if they try to enter a date in either E11 or G11. Or they enter a date in E11 and get an alert if they try to enter a date in A11 or G11. Or they enter a date in G11 and get an alert if they try to enter a date in A11 or E11. Doesn't matter what dates they are entering, just the fact that they are trying to enter a date in more than one cell in that row.

Hi luck,

You can use below formula in custom category under data validation:-
=COUNTIF(11:11,G11)<4

You can also copy across this formula in entire row 11 and this validation will not allow a same date to be entered in row 11 more than 3 times.

Regards,
DILIPandey

Upvote 0
If anybody can help me, all I want to do is combine my two formulas above into one data validation.

Data Validation for C11
=G11="" and =A11=""

Data Validation for G11
=C11="" and =A11=""

Data Validation for A11
=C11="" and =G11=""

Upvote 0
HI lucky,

Use below validation formula for A11:-
=COUNTA(E11,G11)=0

Similarly, you can use this for other two cells after changing the references. thanks.

Regards,
DILIPandey

Upvote 0
If the cells in question are A11, C11 and G11 and your requirement is that only one of them should have a value entered then you could have the same Custom Data Validation in all 3 cells, without changing any references.

=COUNTA($A11,$C11,$G11)=1

Edit: Also, in relation to the urgency of your request you might note the bold part of the final sentence in point 12 of the Posting Guidelines :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks, Peter. That one is a bit easier to understand versus the COUNTBLANK, although it did work for me. I will keep your comments in mind the next time I have an urgent question. Thanks to everyone for helping!

Upvote 0
Thanks, Peter. That one is a bit easier to understand versus the COUNTBLANK, although it did work for me. I will keep your comments in mind the next time I have an urgent question. Thanks to everyone for helping!
Glad you have it sorted. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back