Urgent Help with Solver

Xuanana

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Excel.PNG

Q: you intend to bring the year-end saving balances to at least $45k at year 10, $80k at year 25 and $150K at year 20. Work out three combinations of saving, interest and return rates, one for each goal that you can realistically apply.

Anyone pls help !! I am submitting this for assignment tmr and I cant seem to figure out the answer. Apparently, my friends suggested to me using solver

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Since this is an assignment of some sort, it would be unethical for us to provide turnkey solutions.

As I noted in a discussion of a similar question (same assignment facts) by someone else 4 weeks ago, the interpretation of the facts and the assignment are not clear to me.

Perhaps you can clarify.

In particular, it is unclear which facts should be taken as immutable, and which facts you are expected to vary in order to find solutions.

For example, based on the best-case interpretation of the facts as given, it is not possible (!) to achieve the first goal of $45,000 at the end of year 10.

So clearly, some of the facts are not immutable.

(The best-case interpretation is: initial income is $32,000, increasing 3% per year, investing 10% of the previous year's income for each of 10 years, initially all in savings at 1% interest for the first 5 years, then all in securities (stocks and bonds) at 3.5% return for the next 5 years.)

-----

As to your question about how to use Solver, perhaps the following example might point you in the right direction.

The key to using Solver is to set up a "model" (set of calculations) with one or more "variables" (cell values) that Solver can modify.

For example, the following design might model the calculations for the first 5 years.

what-if investment.xlsx
ABCDE
1$32,000.00Income (year 0)
23.00%%Income growth
310.00%%Invest (years 1-5)
51.00%%Interest on savings
63.50%%Return on securities
10Savings
11YearYear-end IncomeYear-start DepositYear-end InterestYear-end Balance
120$32,000.00
131$32,960.00$3,200.00$32.00$3,232.00
142$33,948.80$3,296.00$65.28$6,593.28
153$34,967.26$3,394.88$99.88$10,088.04
164$36,016.28$3,496.73$135.85$13,720.62
175$37,096.77$3,601.63$173.22$17,495.47
Sheet1

You can click on the cells in order to see the formulas.

Note that I do not round the calculation. It is important not do that when using Solver (or Goal Seek). Rounding and calculations that are not "continuous" can cause Solver to fail to find a solution.

Note that based on 10% in A3, E17 shows the balance after 5 years, namely about $17,495.

But suppose we did not know that. Instead, suppose we want to find the %investment each year (A3) that results in a balance of $17,500 after 5 years (E17).

Initially, clear A3 (%Invest). It is prudent to start with an empty cell or zero (if that does not cause errors in the model). A non-zero starting value might influence the Solver result. (But sometimes, that is useful.)

In Excel 2010, I would click Data > Solver to open the Solver menu. If Solver is not available to you, you can use Goal Seek instead. Click Data > What-If Analysis > Goal Seek.

(Sometimes, Solver is better to use for one reason or another. If Solver is not available, someone might explain how to make it available. Your profile says you are using Office 365, and I am not familiar with the click-by-click navigation in Office 365 Excel.)

In Solver or Goal Seek, enter the following set-up:

Objective cell: E17
To value of: 17500
By changing: A3

Then click Solve or OK.

You should see that A3 appears to be 10.00%, as we might expect based on the original values. But note that the more precise value of A3 is about 10.0025913509246%.

(Your results might vary. Also note that E17 might not be exactly 17,500.00.)

If that is an approach that you can work with, I leave it to you to expand the design to include the calculations after the first 5 years, based on your interpretation of the problem.

If you have further Excel questions about your design, be sure to include it in your follow-up responses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Work out three combinations of saving, interest and return rates, one for each goal that you can realistically apply.
it is unclear which facts should be taken as immutable, and which facts you are expected to vary in order to find solutions.

Okay, perhaps I'm just being "anal". I guess the assignment is: for each of the goals ($45k after 10yr, $150k after 20yr, $80k after 25yr), the three combinations are: vary %investment (10% initially); vary %interest (1% initially); and/or vary %return (3.5% initially). For example, using Solver, find the %investment that results in 150k after 20yr, assuming 1% interest and 3.5% rate of return.

I still believe the assignment leaves much to the imagination.

(1) Vary those rates separately (like my example); or allow for varying any 2 or 3 rates in each of three combinations?

(2) After 5 years, is the total savings invested in stocks and bonds, or only a portion (TBD)?

(3) After 5 years, do we continue to invest 10% (or the varied rate) in savings and/or securities? If so, all in savings; or all in securities; or split (TBD) between savings and securities?

Since this assignment has come up here before, it would be nice if someone would clarify those details for future inquiries.

Upvote 0
Crossposted to https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/excel/help-with-formula/m-p/1653362 , and who knows where else.

There, Xuanana includes a little more detail from the assigment, to wit:

what-if assignment.jpg

(Note to Xuanana.... I saved the image as a JPG instead of PNG in order to get around the file size limitations of this forum.)

Perhaps Xuanana no longer needs assistance with #b and #c. But the additional details would have helped me (at least) understand the parameters of the part described in #d.

And the details of #d identify a typo in Xuanana's posting: $80,000 in year 15, not year 25 [sic].

And an errata to my misinterpretation of the problem....

I wrote: ``for each of the goals ($45k after 10yr, $150k after 20yr, $80k after 25yr), the three combinations are: vary %investment (10% initially); vary %interest (1% initially); and/or vary %return (3.5% initially)``.

The assignment and Xuanana's summary of it clearly states: ``one [combination] for each goal``. Fewer cases to consider.

But I still feel that the assignment is ambiguous about what happens after 5 years.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back