Urgent-Novice needs help with writing a more complex formula

Tabs

Hi there,

I don't know if anyone can help.....I am stuck at work, not been on this site before, and am needing to write a formula that will:

Count the results of a search for cells containing specific text, based on a specific date in the first column.

So I want to count the records of specific error types logged on a particular day.

To do this I think the formula has to find all the records written on the date selected, from the first column, and from the records selected find all the errors (text) of that particular type stored in another column.

I have been trying to use LOOKUP and COUNTIF together, but don't know how to link/embed these two functions together, and even if they are the right ones.

Anyone who can help me not have to stay here at work all night would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Tabs :oops:

Re: Urgent-Novice needs help with writing a more complex for

Tabs said:
...I have never seen the "--" characters in a formula before, what does that mean?...

A conditional like

Details!$M$2:$M$8045=$A26

results in an array of logical values (like {TRUE,TRUE,FALSE,...}) which must be converted in numeric values as SumProduct requires.

=--TRUE ===> 1

=--FALSE ===> 0

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Tabs:
...I have never seen the "--" characters in a formula before, what does that mean?...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A conditional like

results in an array of logical values (like {TRUE,TRUE,FALSE,...}) which must be converted in numeric values as SumProduct requires.

=--TRUE ===> 1

=--FALSE ===> 0

So in the reply you initially posted, was I supposed to input the TRUE of FALSE, or would formula containing the "--" have calculated that. I am afraid that my level of understanding may be too basic for your help.

Thanks

tabs :oops:

Upvote 0

Tabs said:
quote:
Originally posted by Tabs:

A conditional like

=--TRUE ===> 1

=--FALSE ===> 0

So in the reply you initially posted, was I supposed to input the TRUE of FALSE, or would formula containing the "--" have calculated that. I am afraid that my level of understanding may be too basic for your help.

Thanks

tabs :oops:

No, the posted formula does the needed conversion. For more on SumProduct, see:

http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=59063

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dreamz high

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back