Urgent Table of Contents help needed

marshlight

The urgent part refers to a presentation I'm giving on Friday, for which I need this file. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated - I've been searching forums and Google all morning and accomplished nothing but wanting to pull my hair out!

I have been using the code from a Past Tip of the Week on TOCs for a while now in a 24-tabbed, 100+paged document I maintain. I can't believe it's the only one of its kind that I can find, but that's fine, it worked. Today, however, I noticed that the page numbers that it provides are incorrect. One tab is about 25 pages; the TOC, however, lists it as being 50 pages! I do view the pages at 85% in the document and would like to print them at 80%, but don't think this should affect it this significantly.

I have tried changing settings in Setup, where I discovered an interesting clue. I would open Page Setup whilst in print preview, change nothing, hit OK, and then the page count on the bottom would change for no apparent reason. If I scrolled down to find these 'extra pages' I would be dumped out of print preview back into the main worksheet page, without hitting Close. Very strange.

Anyway, any help as I said would be absolutely amazing. Thank you so much.
Melissa

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
What if I wanted to insert a few lines also? Would I still be able to put in:

WST.[A1] = "Interlock Standard Operating Conditions"
WST.[B1] = "(SOCs)"

and other headings somewhere or can that not be done?

I really wanted a TOC with the actual PAGE numbers, not tab numbers, because this will be printed out and circulated, where any edits will have to be documented to the specific page number. I guess I'll have to hand-label them for now, unless anyone has any hints about the weird page miscounting problem I've got.

Edits for figuring things out as I go along.

Upvote 0
Nevermind this post now, I've figured out the spacing and new lines bit. Now if I could get page numbers starting at D6, THAT would make my day.

Upvote 0
Sounds like you want Microsoft WORD table of contents features in your Excel workbook. You could move it all into WORD to get those features.

As far as "moving hyperlinks and tab numbers down":
Select the entire row where you want a new one inserted and hit Ctrl-+ (Ctrl and Plus sign)
That will quickly insert a row.
Holding the Ctrl key and tapping the plus sign will insert multiple rows. (Row(s) must be selected first)
This also works with Columns.

Upvote 0
Sounds like you want Microsoft WORD table of contents features in your Excel workbook. You could move it all into WORD to get those features.

As far as "moving hyperlinks and tab numbers down":
Select the entire row where you want a new one inserted and hit Ctrl-+ (Ctrl and Plus sign)
That will quickly insert a row.
Holding the Ctrl key and tapping the plus sign will insert multiple rows. (Row(s) must be selected first)
This also works with Columns.

Putting this thing in Word would be disastrous, let me assure you. What's wrong with wanting a table of contents with actual page numbers?

Also, unfortunately you posted at the same time I edited what I had said. I did figure out spacing within the macro, so the format is fine there. Thanks for that tip though, I'll have to remember it. I'm quite new to the VB programming world, I'm afraid, but I'm trying to pick up things as fast as I can. The page number thing is just a bit too complex at the moment and I was hoping someone had heard of this kind of problem before.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the update. I understand the need to remain in Excel.

I will be watching this thread to see if anyone has a solution for your page numbering in a table of contents page. Each link would need to be able to "know" the number of pages each worksheet would print out and Tabulate that number sequentually for each worksheet.

Upvote 0
One more question for now: is there a way to set a column to a certain set of numbers without individually defining each row?

I want to put set page numbers I've recorded in column D, just so they won't disappear each time I refresh the macro. So I have a bunch of numbers that should extend from D6:D30 and they are not regularly spaced (1 2 24 27 32 35 ...). I know how to do this in Matlab but Excel is new for me. Is there a way to do this without defining With .Range("D6") / .Value = "1" for each row?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back