Urgently needing a formula that searches 2 columns for exact matches ...

tanyaslater

I'm running a guest list for an event and I have the following columns:

A - First Name
B - Surname
C - Formula to combine A&B
D - Organization
E - # of VIP Tix
F - # of GA Tix
G - # of own Tix
H - Total Guests (where this formula would live)
I - Guest Of who

I have main guests who then have sub guests attached to their party. I need to get a total number of guests to display in the H column of the main guests row.

i.e I need a formula that searches all of column I and if it finds a name that matches a name anywhere in Column C it will take the number of guests in that row and then add it to the Total Guests total in Column H. Does that make sense?

Column I will match Column C if the person is a main guest with no sub guests. If they have sub guests then they will be manually entered as the main guest name in column I.

For example John Smith is a Main guest in row 3 and has 5 guests arriving with him. But he also has his friend Davey Jones who is arriving later with 4 other guests but who will all be sitting with John Smith's party. Column I will be manually edited to show that DAvey JOnes is a guest of John Smith. I need a way to display in John Smith's row the total combined number of his direct guests and his sub guests.

I can add more columns etc if that's what's required as I know this is a complicated ask.

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
I believe it would be more helpful if you could provide an example of all the situation that might arise (no sub guests, a few sub guests, friends and their sub guests etc) and your expected results. For instance, where does it say that Davey Jones has an additional 4 guests? Will that be a separate line or will you add this info in one cell? Will you only have the number of guests or their names as well? Do you need the names returned as well or just a total number?

Maybe try Excel Jeanie to get sample data in the forum.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back