Use a drop down cell to copy date from one cell to another

art27

Hi

I don't seem to be able to get this to work. I have created a cell with a dropdown menu in it. The dropdown cell is L9. If the L9 cell says "Cash" then I want the value in cell J9 to be copied to cell M9, otherwise I want the cell M9 to stay empty.

I have added this formula into cell M9

=IF(L9="Cash",J9,"")

I cant seem to post an image but my data validation setup for cell L9 is as follows

Settings-
Allow:List
Data: between
Source: Invoice,Eftpos,Cash
ignore blank is ticked
in cell dropdown is ticked

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks. I just had an idea but this could be tricky. I could do away with 2 columns on my spreadsheet if I can do the following. At the moment I'm copying all of the cash amounts into one column and all of the "other payments" in another column to that I can total how much was cash and how much was "all other payment types combined"

I have a column J9:J20 with amounts in it and then another column L9:L20 with the data validation that I now have. I want to total up all amounts that are in column "J" that have the validation on the same row in column "L" set to cash and store that total in cell D33. Can that be done without having to move all of the cash to its own column and then total the column?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Sounds like a simple case of D33=SumIf(column J where column L="Cash")

=SUMIF($L$9:$L$20,"Cash",$J$9:$J$20)

Upvote 0
Thanks very much! That's much better. I can remove 2 columns now which will create a lot more space. To work out the total income made from "all other payment types" I can just total the column for all payment types and deduct the cash but for future reference is it possible to write

D33=SumIf(column J where column L is not equal to "Cash")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmmotairi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back