Use a drop down cell to copy date from one cell to another

art27

Thanks. I just had an idea but this could be tricky. I could do away with 2 columns on my spreadsheet if I can do the following. At the moment I'm copying all of the cash amounts into one column and all of the "other payments" in another column to that I can total how much was cash and how much was "all other payment types combined"

I have a column J9:J20 with amounts in it and then another column L9:L20 with the data validation that I now have. I want to total up all amounts that are in column "J" that have the validation on the same row in column "L" set to cash and store that total in cell D33. Can that be done without having to move all of the cash to its own column and then total the column?

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.

higrm

Sounds like a simple case of D33=SumIf(column J where column L="Cash")

=SUMIF($L$9:$L$20,"Cash",$J$9:$J$20)

art27

Thanks very much! That's much better. I can remove 2 columns now which will create a lot more space. To work out the total income made from "all other payment types" I can just total the column for all payment types and deduct the cash but for future reference is it possible to write

D33=SumIf(column J where column L is not equal to "Cash")

DanteAmor

Office Version
Platform
Windows
I'm glad to help you. Thanks for the feedback.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jadax

This Week's Hot Topics