use an access database as a source of data in excel?

merlin777

Office Version
  1. 2007
I have a number of users that need to enter data into excel on and off during the day and view the results of theirs and and others' data. At the end of the week i produce a coplex set of reports.

Excel's sharing ability is too poor for this but it is the easiest way for me to crunch the data for the reports.

Can I use access for entering data and displaying it and then get my excel workbook to use the access data for the reports?

I realise it could all be done in access but I'm an access newbie and I'll find it far easier to do my reports in excel.

Would this be possible?

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
write an access query and export it to excel - I had this set up when I worked for London Underground (the metro) the database had millions of records each with 50 odd fields. It put the data into a nominated page, overwriting what was there and all our pivot tables and charts drew on this daa

Upvote 0
thanks for that. Is this the same as running a workbook and having it import the data from access? My users are not IT savvy so I'd like the automate it for them if possible.

Upvote 0
Can I use access for entering data and displaying it and then get my excel workbook to use the access data for the reports?

Yes, very easily. On the Data tab use the "From Access" button to set up a data connection and import your data.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rocketslinger

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back