Use Calculate Field in a Pivot Table to calculate a Monthly Average from the Category Grand Totals (the Sum of the Monthly Totals)??

starchaser_lib8

Using Excel 2007 & Windows XP.

I've made a Pivot Table that filters pages by Years, then gives me monthly transaction totals by categories. Months across the columns and categories down the rows, and gives me the Grand Totals for each Month at the bottom and the Grand Totals for each category at the right. I want to insert a Calculated Field beside the category Grand Totals at the right that will give me the monthly average for each category. NOT the average transaction amount per month but the Average Total = the Grand Total per category / the # of months contributing to the Grand Total per category. I have data for May through Dec for 2009 & data for Jan through the current date in Aug for 2010. That means that I can't just divide the Grand Total per category by 12 months I need to figure out how to make it count the # of months of data available in each year.

I can't figure out how to count the # of months of data available in each year or how to even calculate the average by dividing the Grand Total per category since it doesn't appear the field list.

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

ScreenShotofExcelSpendingSummary080510csvforMrExcelThread-2.jpg

Last edited:

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Maybe it'd be easier with a query table? To create manually, start via menu ALT-D-D-N. Formulas can be used with a query table: for example, a COUNT for the months. Or maybe the average can be worked out in the SQL for the query (or even for the pivot table, in fact).

Please post sample data - inputs & results - as it helps enormously. The sticky threads at the top of the forum page refer.

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127080

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89356

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back