Use Excel to identify changes in Trend

sshaffer99

Board Regular
I was given a spreadsheet that has over 50 control charts -- 1 control chart on each tab. The control charts are run against 1 set of data (on a tab called "data"). My job is to review every control chart every day to look for data points that are above or below control limits or that seem to have an inconsistent trend. This is very time consuming.

I wanted to make some sort of exception report that will show me inconsistent data without going through 50 control charts. One way I thought of is to do some simple conditional formating to highlight a cell that is above or below a certain value. But I was wondering if there is a way to determine if the data is on an abnormal trend over a certaing number of days. For example, if the data is "inside" of the control limit but has been trending upward and has been more thant 10% up over the last 3 days.

Does anyone have an idea on how I could accomplish this?

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Just a thought: you can add another worksheet called say a Control sheet.

In this sheet you could create your formulas which would help in pointing out exceptions in your trends. Use conditional formatting to highlight high variations.

Just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back