Use List Drop Down to sort date range in spreadsheet

buyers

Board Regular
After spending hours trying to figure this out, I'm hoping you all can help. I'd like to use a drop down list with they year (2014/2015/2016/2017) to filter my spreadsheet by a date range of say 2/1/15-1/1/16=2015, 2/1/16-1/1/17=2017, etc.
1/1/15xycabcedb
12/1/16dkdjfakljffakldjfalkdj
2/1/17fdakljfjadjkakdjf;fdalkj

<tbody>
</tbody>

Would love anyone's help, thank you!!!

Neither did my earlier message in which I suggested the new WB you sent me indicates you may not have followed tweaks required
1) Turn off any autofilter
2) Resize your table to include column B. In other words include TRUE/FALSE calculations in the datatable (but still hide after)
3) Add 'All' to your data validation list (so you can select all years)

Step 2 is critical.

I will have a look at the most recent sample book sometime later in the day.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Works perfect! The only little hitch is that on the sales tracker sheet, for 2014 and 2017 where there is no entries, it shows all. Is there a way to change this to show none? It works fine in the BIF worksheet. Thank you.

Upvote 0
It looks to me like something something you may do once per year. If I was doing it, I'd use a dynamic named range to populate the drop-down list. Dynamic named ranges can be very useful things to use. I've attached a sample WB that tells you how to set it up. Hopefully, your formula-writing experience will make it easy to follow because I did put it together in a hurry.

Quick test first.
Open the drop-down list at F1 in Sheet1 of the attached (which contains set-up instructions) and see what's there. Now add 2017 at A5 and try again.

the process in summary,
1) Populate cells with values
2) Create a dynamic named range that references the first cell in the range
3) Create your form contol
4) Specify the named range as the input range.
5) Link it to a cell (not the cell you use for the marcro to find year)
6) Create a formula in the cell you use for the macro year.

You could set your dynamic named range on a new hidden (or non-hidden) sheet, create more than one - whatever you need.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...135&authkey=!AEvxTCDQl1cDDzk&ithint=file,xlsx

Upvote 0
Hi Steve, hope you are well, was hoping you might help me out with something that seems simple that I can't figure out. I have the data validation list (2014,2015,2016,2017, All) on two worsheets that I would like to mirror each other. Said differently, if I select 2015 on worksheet A, I want it to change to 2015 on Worksheet B and vice versa. Any advice would be awesome. Thank you.

Upvote 0
Do you mean a formula in one sheet that is updated when a cell in another sheet changes?

In any sheet other than Sheet2 the following will show the value in Sheet2 cell A1

=Sheet2!A1

Upvote 0
Two drop down lists on seperate sheets with the same options(2014,2015,2016,2017,all). I'd like them to mirror each other, but still function as drop down lists. I realize I could simply have one drop down list and do as you state above, but not sure how to do it with both being drop down lists that change with each other.

Upvote 0
It just takes a little code in the Worksheet change event.

Right-click a sheet on which you select a value in a drop list.
click View code
paste

Hopefully I have enough comments in the code below for you to read and understand.
Put code in each sheet that contains a drop list (suitably adjusted) and they will synchronise.

NOTE: code comments and some code changes made after pasting. I think code remains correct but I am human.
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

'we need to ensure this only fires when the cell linked to the drop list changes.
'this is the Target mentioned in '(ByVal Target As Range)'
' let's call it iSect
'change B3 (below) to the relevant cell address the drop list on 'this' sheet changes
iSect = "B3" 

If Intersect(Target, Range(iSect)) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub 'so changes to other cells won't trigger what follows 

Application.EnableEvents = False ' turn off event driven code the following does not trigger an endless loop 

' In the following modify Sheetx to the name of the sheet containing the cell you wish to synchronise with your drop list in 'this' sheet
    ' Also in the following change "A1' to the cell address on Sheetx that needs to change. 
Sheets("Sheetx").Range("A1").value = target.value

Application.EnableEvents = True ' switch events monitoring back on so the next change will activate the code
End Sub

Minor note of caution. You can update a linked cell to by-pass cell validation if drop lists use different lists of values.

If it seems to not be working run the following from a standard code module and test again before asking a question.
Code:
Sub EvntsOn()
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

BTW new questions not directly related to the initial question should be started is a separate thread.

Upvote 0
Works perfect, thanks again. I will start a new thread for future questions. Appreciate your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back