Use number of gaps between cells in a column to perform calculation

jamesladbrooke1

Hi,
This is my first time posting to mrexcel so please bear with me! I've been tearing my hair out over what is probably an easily solvable question which is why I've come here! I basically have a table like the one below- in the left hand column are numbers (representing amounts of money), and there are variable gaps between each cell going down the column. I basically want to create a formula that will somehow calculate how many gaps there are between each cell and use this number to perform a simple division which will output a number in the right hand column. I will use the first entry (360) as an example. What I'd like is 60 in each cell on the right, and this is calculated from number of rows +1 (to include the 360 itself) that I want to divide 360 by. I've completed the next two entries down the column (75 and 140) but have left the rest uncalculated, as they are on my table. At the moment I'm eyeballing how many rows there are and dividing the number in the left hand column by that number to get each entry in the right hand column. Hopefully somebody can make some sort of sense from a combination of my terrible explanation/table below illustrating what I'd like formularised to help me!
Many thanks in advance,
Jamie

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Assuming your data starts from A4 and you have data till A1000, then use this:

Code:
=IF(A4<>"",A4/SMALL(IF(A5:$A$1000<>"",ROW(A5:$A$1000)-ROW(A4)),1),C3)

As this is an array formula it requires ctrl+shift+enter after putting the formula. Just pressing "Enter" wont do the job.

Upvote 0
Thank you so much, this has worked absolutely perfectly!! Thank you also for replying so swiftly. Could I possibly be a pain and ask if you might be able to help me on another, similar request (to do with calculating something based on gaps in a column etc...). Can I ask you on this thread or should I open another new thread?
Many thanks,
Jamie

Upvote 0
You should open a new thread. There are very good members in this forum who will definitely help you.

Upvote 0
Hi Nishant94, so I started using this code and it seemed to be working brilliantly at first, then I started having a few problems with it and I've tried replicating it on some simple test data and it's completely stopped working- I feel like I'm going crazy as it definitely worked at first and I have an original column of data outputted by it to prove it. Cannot for the life of me work out what has changed?! I'm making sure that I'm pressing Ctrl+shift+enter, and even using test data starting in A4 and copying the code exactly, it no longer works. Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Jamie

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaliya13

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back