Use results of VLOOKUP to auto populate a validated list

LKinane

Hi,

I would like to use a combination of a VLOOKUP and a validated list. e.g. the choices in the validation list are either "internal" or "external" (methods of delivering courses). The courses can be delivered either way but we have historical data which tells us what is the usual method, which I would like to use as the default value in the validated list. I cannot seem to use both at the same time.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Alternatively, use named ranges...

So,
A
B
C
D
E
Data Validation 1
Data Validation 2
Internal
Internal
External
External
Int A
Ext A
Int B
Ext N

<tbody>
</tbody>

Create a named range of C1:C2 as Choice1, D2:D3 as Internal, and E2:E3 as External (case sensitive).
In A1, use Data Validation as List, and the Source enter =Choice1
In B1, use Data Validation as List, and the Source enter =INDIRECT(A1)

Done.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for responding but I think that maybe I did not make myself clear.
In my file, in Column D, a course name is entered (also via a validated list).
In Column E, I would like to add the results of a VLOOKUP which results in the cell being auto-populated with either Internal or External.
The person entering the data can have the option to change this to the other [Internal or External] choice, but I would like this to also be validated so that only the actual word "Internal" or "External" can be entered in column E. (This is because the results of Column E are used in another formula, which needs to be exact (not abbreviated etc.))
Thanks again. I hope that makes sense.

Upvote 0
You can still use a named list, but make the cells populate from the selection...
So make a named range (assuming column F is empty) for F1:F2;
F1 ="Default - "&VLOOKUP( your lookup )
F2 =IF(VLOOKUP( your lookup ) = "External","Internal","External")

That way the range will throw out "Default - ~whatever the course is~" with the opposite available on the drop down as the first option. Then where you need to use the Internal or External data in the formula you can use RIGHT(cell ref,8) and it'll just you either Internal or External without the default. Or just use the VLOOKUP in F1 if you'd rather it didn't have the Default tag...

You can use VBA to do an Application.WorksheetFunction to auto-populate it when you make a selection on Column D, my system is chugging working on a big chunk of data at the moment otherwise I'd dig out the one I did recently with the assistance of Fluff, the thread is here: https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/1020237-vba-lookups-based-cell-input-exit.html if you feel comfortable editing the code to fit.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back