Use slicer to create a dynamic measure

nando88

Board Regular
I want to be able to load all the columns in an excel sheet into a slicer, and then use the selected column in the slicer in a measure, that way I can change columns in that measure, just by selecting a different column in the slicer.
If someone can help me, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks.

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
What is in the columns? You may be better to unpivot them into a single column. Anyway, you could write 1 measure for each column, such as measure1= sum(table[column1]) etc. Then add a table like this

column name
column1
column2
column3 etc

add the table as a slicer

write this measure

selected column = switch(lastnonblank(table[column name],1),
"column1",[measure1],
"column2",[measure2],
etc
)

Upvote 0
Even though this works, I was wondering if its possible to have a single measure, and just change the columns inside that measure, so that I can see the results without having to do so many operations.
If this is possible, please tell me how, and if not please tell me so I can use the seponse above.
Thanks.

Upvote 0
Is it possible to display the results of more than one measure per selectionb in slicer?

Upvote 0
I was wondering if its possible to have a single measure, and just change the columns inside that measure, so that I can see the results without having to do so many operations.

Instead of writing the measures, you could put the sum inside the switch, but that is it as far as I know.

Upvote 0
Is it possible to display the results of more than one measure per selectionb in slicer?
possibly, with a different final measure. But I come back to my original question. What is in the columns. Power Pivot is optimised to add things together. If these are all sums, I would unpivot the data before load, then power Pivot will do the work with a couple of keystrokes.

Please post your table structure.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaliya13

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back