Use VBA sort range on multiple columns...

cboshdave

Board Regular
I know this subject has been beat to death. I can't seem to find the specific answer I am looking for though. I need to sort blocks of data as I move down a spreadsheet.

The following code works (generally). It only sorts on the first column though. For example, if the block is C5:L8, I need it to sort on C5 Primary and E5 secondary. I thought that is what my rKeyRange is doing. But, it is not working. When I sort manually, it is working (originally, the strings were unsortable). Setting the range with Cells() seems easier to deal with since it is so dynamic.

Bottom line: Question is how to set the rKeyRange to sort on 2 columns and set it dynamically as I move down the sheet.

Code:
Private Sub RangeSort(iFirstRow As Long, iBlockSize As Long, iFirstCol As Long, iLastCol As Long)    Dim rDataRange As Range
    Dim rKeyRange As Range
    Set rDataRange = Range(Cells(iFirstRow, iFirstCol), Cells(iFirstRow + iBlockSize, iLastCol))
    rDataRange.Select
    Set rKeyRange = Range(Cells(iFirstRow, 3), Cells(iFirstRow, 5))
    rDataRange.Sort Key1:=rKeyRange, Order1:=xlAscending
End Sub

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Hi,

To sort on two columns you just need to add another key - Key2:= ...
Code:
rDataRange.Sort Key1:=rKeyRange, Order1:=xlAscending, Key2:=rKeyRange2

However, it looks as if you are sorting all the blocks by the same columns so why not just add a column so that you can assign a unique identifier to each block? You could then just sort on that ID and the other two columns and you would only need one sort.

Upvote 0
Hi,

To sort on two columns you just need to add another key - Key2:= ...
Code:
rDataRange.Sort Key1:=rKeyRange, Order1:=xlAscending, Key2:=rKeyRange2

However, it looks as if you are sorting all the blocks by the same columns so why not just add a column so that you can assign a unique identifier to each block? You could then just sort on that ID and the other two columns and you would only need one sort.

You are absolutely correct. I could sort once, but the data in the other columns is not contiguous, so I would get screwy results. This is the best I can come up with and that DID solve my problem. I forgot it had to be multiple keys. I was trying to load multiple values into one key. Thanks!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back