Use VBA to format a pivot chart so only one series displays

L

Legacy 139986

I have an interactive pivot chart that allows users to select a region from one drop down list then a product based on that region from another drop down list. The line chart displays two series that are a percentage of a whole. (i.e., what percent of stock is blue and what percent is red) then graphs the % over time showing the trend of one color over the other. I only want to display the trend of the blue %. I tried filtering the chart to only display the blue but it showed blue at 100% (I'm guessing that's because I removed the second half of the equation). So, I'm trying to figure out how to create VBA code that will format the chart by setting the marker and line for the red series to 'None' but leave the blue. When I record a macro setting the marker and line of the red series to 'none' only code for removing the marker shows up in the code. Another problem is that sometimes the macro will wipe out the blue series, too. As part of my recorded macro I selected a marker and line style for the blue series and added that to my previous code but this only makes the markers display, still no lines. How do I write code for lines not to display in one series but display in the other?

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Excel 2007+? Because older versions use graphs differently in code.

Upvote 0
Here is a sub that will do the trick with a little test sub that shows how to use it

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Option</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Explicit</SPAN><br><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'-----------------------------------------------------------</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Hide_Show_Line(iLine <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Integer</SPAN>, bShow <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Boolean</SPAN>)<br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'  Macro to hide or show line on graph.</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'  The 1st parameter passed is for the line to show or hide</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'  the 2nd parameter is True if you want to show line</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'  and False if you want to hide line</SPAN><br>    <br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'-----------------------------------------------------------</SPAN><br><br>    ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 1").Activate<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> ActiveChart<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> iLine < 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Or</SPAN> iLine > .SeriesCollection.Count <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>            MsgBox "Invalid line number. Please provide number " _<br>                    & "between 1 and " & .SeriesCollection.Count<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>        <br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> .SeriesCollection(iLine).Format.Line<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> bShow <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN>       <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' show line</SPAN><br>            .Visible = msoTrue<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Else</SPAN><br>            .Visible = msoFalse<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> shtest()<br>    Hide_Show_Line 2, <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>    <br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br></FONT>

Upvote 0
Oh, thank you!! All the research I did confirmed that you can't record a macro to do that specific piece and said I 'had to figure it out'. Of course, 'figuring it out' was what I needed help with. You did that for me. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
recon11bucks

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back