User defined function in personal.xls

andonny

Board Regular
Hi,
Andreas was so kind and provided me with the function below. My question is when I put it into personal.xls how can I have it available for every workbook without placing it into every single workbook.

Function GetValue(str As String) As Double
Dim n As Integer
For n = 1 To Len(str)
If IsNumeric(Mid(str, n, 1)) Then GetValue = GetValue & Mid(str, n, 1)
Next
End Function

I appreciate your help
Andonny

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Put the personal.xls file into the folder named XLStart that was created when Excel was installed on your computer. Excel looks there every time it starts and loads the files it finds there.

Exactly where the XLStart folder is located has changed a bit through the years, but try looking under "C:Program Files" and then MSOffice or Office10, depending on which version you are using. Back in Excel95 or 97 it might be under the folder named Excel under MSOffice (I don't remember clearly).

Or just search your whole disk for a folder named XLStart.

Upvote 0
Hi

To add if your on a works network and its a remote install you might find that each boot of your PC re loads windows and Office as such [not totally true but !!!] and this kind of input wil be wipped out on next boot -

Just in case, so what your need to dois convert the function into a small peice of software [excal add in ] and loads the add in via normal fashion, i have section on my local drive called C:Jacks Add ins and have the goodies there, and turn on off as i need them, works fine

Just in case some extra information i know guys will read,

Take care
Kind regards

HTH Jack in the UK

Upvote 0
Hi,
I have it already in personal.xls and in the xlstart directory but it does not work in Book1.xls until I actually make a module in the Book1.xls. Then it works. I am not sure how to make an Excel addin. Maybe there is a site which explains that.

Thanks a million for the help
Andonny

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back