User defined (macro) formula not Transferring when moving tab

cubsfan05

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I've written a simple formula (below, i don't have excel 2013 with the =formulatext function) on a tab in a standalone model which i then need to drop into a large number of other models. The formula is written on the worksheet in the standalone model (not a module) and it works in the standalone model. However, when I copy the tab into a 2nd, larger workbook, the formula ceases to work and i get a #NAME error as the 2nd, larger workbook isn't recognizing the formula even though when i open VB, i can see the copied tab with the getformulatext function below.

Code:
Function GetFormulaText(myCell As Range)
    GetFormulaText = myCell.Formula
End Function

Any ideas why the 2nd, larger workbook isn't recognizing the formula on the tab that has been copied in?

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
That code is in a normal module, which is not being copied to the other workbook, which is why it doesn't work. It sounds like you need to put it into an add-in.

Upvote 0
What do you mean an add-in?
like an excel or com add-in?

Ideally i'll be able to send this one-tab file to coworkers who can then drop it into their many models.
What i need to do is remove the link to a specific file by doing find & replace so that instead of referencing the "output" tab on a template file, it references the output tab in the user's individual existing file. thus i had the macro formula above to pull the file name being referenced so people knew what to find & replace with ""

Upvote 0
An Excel add-in (xlam file).
A single sheet won't work because a UDF cannot be stored in a worksheet module.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hanakoro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back