User input and Vlookup

bubbles2010

Hi. I have a question and need to suggestion as well.

I have a template in excel that I need to follow so I can't change or add any column. My problem is in column H I have the formula Vlookup. However, sometimes users also need to input different data in the column H as well because column H is the description column, and sometimes users need to input special derscription, but most of the time, users will not. So, if I have Vlookup, it will speed things up.

I know that I shouldn't have formula and user input in the same cell, but I can't change the format.

Is that possible in excel for user to input in the cell without deleting the fomula? Also, is there a better way to find "the description" without using the formula Vlookup?
Thank you in advance.

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Bubbles - I normally don't recommend merging formulas in with data fields. You can handle this a variety of different ways (usually best solution is some sort of database - like Access). However - if you are set on having both in the same field - you can accomplish this the easiest through a macro that loops through all the data and inserts the VLOOKUP function and still appends the other text at the end of your VLOOKUP. If you need more assistance - you'll need to paste in a few more specifics.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back