User Input Vs Static Value in DateDiff Criteria

RugoseCone

While I have been able to resolve just about everything through the genious guidance of the fine minds on this forum, I just cannot resolve, nor find a solution to this seemingly simple issue:

I am trying to allow the user to specify the 'age' of a record to obtain a list of aged loans. I have a date/time field called [DateStamp] on my table. Using QBE, I have defined AgedMonths: DateDiff("m",[DateStamp],Date()), which appears to be calculating perfectly.

When I specify a value in the criteria, say <50, it returns the expected number of records that are greater than 50 months.
When I change the criteria to user input, say <[Enter aged months], it returns additional records that are less than 50 months.

I have played around with short dates, using now(), cdate() and nothing works. Your guidance is greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
When I specify a value in the criteria, say <50, it returns the expected number of records that are greater than 50 months.

The < means Less Than.

Upvote 0
I am able to repeat this problem on Access 2003 and Access 2007.

Here is my sql:
SELECT [Data].DateStamp, DateDiff("m",[DateStamp],Now()) AS [Month]
FROM Data
WHERE (((DateDiff("m",[DateStamp],Now()))>75));

Here are my results:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 bgColor=#ffffff border=1><CAPTION></CAPTION><THEAD><TR><TH borderColor=#000000 bgColor=#c0c0c0>DateStamp</TH><TH borderColor=#000000 bgColor=#c0c0c0>Month</TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD borderColor=#d0d7e5 align=right>3/31/2004 3:00:00 PM</TD><TD borderColor=#d0d7e5 align=right>93</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD borderColor=#d0d7e5 align=right>1/10/2003 4:52:30 PM</TD><TD borderColor=#d0d7e5 align=right>107</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD borderColor=#d0d7e5 align=right>3/31/2003 3:00:00 PM</TD><TD borderColor=#d0d7e5 align=right>105</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD borderColor=#d0d7e5 align=right>1/10/2002 4:52:30 PM</TD><TD borderColor=#d0d7e5 align=right>119</TD></TR></TBODY><TFOOT></TFOOT></TABLE>

When I change where in my sql to:
WHERE (((DateDiff("m",[DateStamp],Now()))>[Enter aging months]));

Here are my results:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 bgColor=#ffffff border=1><CAPTION></CAPTION><THEAD><TR><TH borderColor=#000000 bgColor=#c0c0c0>DateStamp</TH><TH borderColor=#000000 bgColor=#c0c0c0>Month</TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD borderColor=#d0d7e5 align=right>3/31/2004 3:00:00 PM</TD><TD borderColor=#d0d7e5 align=right>93</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD borderColor=#d0d7e5 align=right>3/7/2011 3:32:10 PM</TD><TD borderColor=#d0d7e5 align=right>9</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD borderColor=#d0d7e5 align=right>3/15/2011 10:35:52 AM</TD><TD borderColor=#d0d7e5 align=right>9</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD borderColor=#d0d7e5 align=right>3/15/2011 10:41:59 AM</TD><TD borderColor=#d0d7e5 align=right>9</TD></TR></TBODY><TFOOT></TFOOT></TABLE>

Anyone have any ideas?

Upvote 0
See if this works:

WHERE (((DateDiff("m",[DateStamp],Now()))>Val([Enter aging months])));

Also, you should only use NOW() if you are wanting to deal with a time element too. You should use DATE() if you are only working with a date field and not one with time as well. So that would be:

WHERE (((DateDiff("m",[DateStamp],Date()))>Val([Enter aging months])));

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back