Userform data input and recall

Desiel

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I have been asked to put together a database of parts and equipment. In my userform i have multiple textboxes for filling in different types of information into relevant columns in my spreadsheet, such as serial numbers for plant, bearing numbers, oil seal numbers and so on. Sometimes all the information is not available at the time of updating. So my question is can i use my current userform to recall the already inputted data and repopulate the already filled in fields so that i can then update any fields that require updating or fill in the fields that i can see are still blank.
here is the userform i have put together along with the code for writing the data to the spreadsheet. And yes im a complete Novice

1611589229204.png

1611589286570.png

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Hi
welcome to forum
This is just a personal view but although you can create a flat file (single table) database in excel you would probably find it easier & more flexible if you head over to the Access Forum on this site & build your application using a proper database application

Here is a link to give you an idea of what is involved: Create Database Using Microsoft Access with 6 Amazing Steps but the Access forum probably can provide better links / guidance to help you with your project.

If though, you want to stay with using excel then suggest that you place copy of your workbook with sample data on a file sharing site like dropbox & provide a link to it.

Hope Helpful

Dave

Upvote 0
Hi
welcome to forum
This is just a personal view but although you can create a flat file (single table) database in excel you would probably find it easier & more flexible if you head over to the Access Forum on this site & build your application using a proper database application

Here is a link to give you an idea of what is involved: Create Database Using Microsoft Access with 6 Amazing Steps but the Access forum probably can provide better links / guidance to help you with your project.

If though, you want to stay with using excel then suggest that you place copy of your workbook with sample data on a file sharing site like dropbox & provide a link to it.

Hope Helpful

Dave
Thanks for the Welcome and the info. i looked at the Access software and i dont think it will give me what im looking for. i have my file stored on my onedrive but im not able to post a link so that anyone can look at it, any info you can give so that i can share from my one drive that would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
Desiel

What makes you think Access won't give you what you want?

You could do this in Excel but you would have to do a lot of the 'heavy lifting', e.g. writing code, yourself, in Access you wouldn't need to do that.

Of course there still be a fair amount of setup in Access but once that's done then everything else should be taken care of with minimum effort.

Upvote 0
Desiel

What makes you think Access won't give you what you want?

You could do this in Excel but you would have to do a lot of the 'heavy lifting', e.g. writing code, yourself, in Access you wouldn't need to do that.

Of course there still be a fair amount of setup in Access but once that's done then everything else should be taken care of with minimum effort.
To be honest Access just looks to be a drop down menu plan, where each detail would need to be painstakingly input in to the appropriate cell location. i was hoping to be able to use vba to put together a userform along with the appropriate code to do this for me, with the ability of recalling the information i require at any given time for either informational purposes or for updating purpose. Excel also has a drop down menus option within there tables section and i found this to be too labour intensive for every time it was to be used. by using the userform i plan to construct i will leave it completely user friendly for anybody to use after me, basically will be a case of filling in the box that applies to the information you have and record it. like wise when you have some information and you want to recall everything connected to it you just input the information you have and the rest becomes available to read.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the Welcome and the info. i looked at the Access software and i dont think it will give me what im looking for. i have my file stored on my onedrive but im not able to post a link so that anyone can look at it, any info you can give so that i can share from my one drive that would be greatly appreciated.

Which application you use is a choice for you but Excel used as a database will be as already stated, involve a lot of code writing & provide limited results.

To share the file use a free utility like dropbox :Dropbox Basic (Free account)

Dave

Upvote 0
There's no 'cells' in Access, you have tables with records that have fields.

You can think of a record as being the equivalent of a row in Excel.

In Access you wouldn't have to use any code to do what you want.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DumbFinanceBro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back