UserForm Drop-down Menu: Selective Starting & End Point

Ottsel

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi everyone,

Attempting to have my down-drop list show dates that are currently not hidden, but only dates that have data within them. Each week a new line is entered and that new date is populated, but having to start from the VERY beginning can be a hassle - even more so, since you can't wheel the menu and have to drag it.

Start of list: Hidden rows + 15, since the data begins on row 15.

End of list: Taking not blank rows - Hidden rows - blank rows will give me the point of where the list should end

Currently rows 15-692 are hidden and the date within C693 is 01/03/20.

The last row is 819 with the date 06/03/22. 06/10/22 will be the next input, but there's no reason to list it until data is entered into D820.

Not sure if its possible, but if there is a way to use your mouse wheel instead of having to drag it I'd love to read up on how to implement that into this and possible future drop-down userform menus.

With that said: I've taken my amateur VBA knowledge (which is ranking it too high in my opinion) and done the following:
VBA Code:
Sub DropDownCombo1()
Dim ws As Worksheet
Dim rHidden, x As Long
Dim rng As Range
Dim rBlank, nBlank As Integer
Dim bStart(), bEnd() As Integer

'Obtain # of hidden rows
Set ws = Sheets("Current")
rHidden = 0
For x = 1 To ws.Range("c14").CurrentRegion.Rows.Count
    If ws.Cells(x, 1).EntireRow.Hidden = True Then
        rHidden = rHidden + 1
    End If
Next x
'Obtain # of rows blank from D14:D1085
rBlank = Application.WorksheetFunction.CountBlank(ws.Range("D14:D1085"))
'Obtain # of rows NOT blank from D14:1085
nBlank = Worksheets("Current").Range("C15:C1085").Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants).Count
'now to pull it all together... somehow
ReDim bStart(rHidden + 15)
ReDim bEnd(nBlank - rHidden - rBlank)
UserForm.ComboBox1.AddItem

End Sub

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Not sure I understand all of what's going on. On one hand, seems that the combo box is a value list populated by a range instead of being the range itself. Perhaps because of 'hidden' values are in the range. Regardless, maybe what could work for you is on the combo dropbutton_click event, start the list at some index point that you pick. Perhaps pick the row as listcount - listrows or something similar? e.g.
VBA Code:
Private Sub ComboBox1_DropButtonClick()
With Me.ComboBox1
     .ListIndex = .ListCount - .ListRows + 1
End With

End Sub
Could drop the +1. The idea there being that the last row in the displayed list would be the last row item. Untested for a value list but works for a range so I don't see why it wouldn't work for a value list.

Upvote 0
Have C15 through C1100 I have a long range of dates, but once a week data is input into that date. Currently it backtracks years, but at times we like to look back and compare by unhiding those rows.

VBA is still a learning curve for me, so my code might come off, well confusing as it is still for me. I gave what you posted a quick shot, but couldn't figure out how to add it or have it be the solution to my issue above.

Upvote 0
Possibly seeing some data and the desired result would help someone to help you. It's usually better than describing.
A quick search on how to use mouse wheel in a combo box produced this, among others:

Upvote 0
Its data from Random lengths that I record. Need a drop down list of the dates with actual data currently. Each Friday I input the newest info that's released. I list all the weeks during the year to avoid having to see what the next friday will be. Here's a screenshot if that helps.

On a side note: thank you for sharing that link! I'm new to MrExcel, so I didn't think to check the forums for the scroll feature. Appreciate it!

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    82.6 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back