Userform help needed to replace current one with a newer one

DeezNuts

Board Regular
I currently have one built with the macro that control true or false output but want to customize it a bit and cant see how current piece of code for the form is

Code:
    If MsgBox("Do you want to sort grades ascending or descending?" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "Click [Yes] for ascending" & vbCrLf & "Click [No] for descending", vbYesNo, "Sort by?") = vbYes Then
        sortAscending = True
    Else
        sortAscending = False
    End If
<code></code>

How would I go about making it look like this
LtilKM2.png

With the output of true or false to control the macro.

Also instead of a short cut key is there a way to add a button or link to a sheet to activate the macro popup?

Thank you Fluff after following these directions it only works in one directions from largest to smallest. Should work both ways.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
I forgot to change the SortAscending variable so, at the top of the main code change this
Code:
Public sortAscending As [COLOR=#ff0000]Boolean[/COLOR]
then on the ascending button change
Code:
sortAscending = [COLOR=#ff0000]True[/COLOR]
and on the descending button change
Code:
sortAscending = [COLOR=#ff0000]False[/COLOR]
If this doesn't work I'll have another look on Monday
HTH

Upvote 0
This thing is being a pain in the **** :) so you know what I have done just in case I have messed up is this to date

In UserForm1
Button 1
Code:
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
sortAscending = True
Call SortAreas
Unload Me
End Sub
Button 2
Code:
Private Sub CommandButton2_Click()
sortAscending = False
Call SortAreas
Unload Me
End Sub
Button 3
Code:
Private Sub CommandButton3_Click()
Unload Me
End Sub

In the Module1 I have

Code:
Option Explicit
Public sortAscending As Boolean
Code:
Sub UsrFrmShow()
    UserForm1.Show
End Sub
Code:
Sub SortAreas()
    Dim i As Long, j As Long, startRow As Long, areaRows As Long, areaCols As Long, sortKeyCol As Long, sortAscending As Boolean
    Dim a, s As Long
    startRow = 6
    areaCols = 5
    areaRows = 3
    sortKeyCol = 4
'    If MsgBox("Do you want to sort grades ascending or descending?" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "Click [Yes] for ascending" & vbCrLf & "Click [No] for descending", vbYesNo, "Sort by?") = vbYes Then
'        sortAscending = True
'    Else
'        sortAscending = False
'    End If

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    With ActiveSheet
        For i = startRow To .Cells(.Rows.Count, sortKeyCol).End(xlUp).Row Step areaRows + 1
            s = 0
            a = .Cells(i, 1).Resize(areaRows, areaCols).Value
            For j = i + areaRows + 1 To .Cells(.Rows.Count, sortKeyCol).End(xlUp).Row Step areaRows + 1
                If s = 0 Then
                    If sortAscending Then If .Cells(j, 1).Resize(areaRows, areaCols)(1, sortKeyCol).Value < a(1, sortKeyCol) Then s = j
                    If Not sortAscending Then If .Cells(j, 1).Resize(areaRows, areaCols)(1, sortKeyCol).Value > a(1, sortKeyCol) Then s = j
                Else
                    If sortAscending Then If .Cells(j, 1).Resize(areaRows, areaCols)(1, sortKeyCol).Value < .Cells(s, 1).Resize(areaRows, areaCols)(1, sortKeyCol).Value Then s = j
                    If Not sortAscending Then If .Cells(j, 1).Resize(areaRows, areaCols)(1, sortKeyCol).Value > .Cells(s, 1).Resize(areaRows, areaCols)(1, sortKeyCol).Value Then s = j
                End If
            Next
            If s > 0 Then
                .Cells(i, 1).Resize(areaRows, areaCols).Value = .Cells(s, 1).Resize(areaRows, areaCols).Value
                .Cells(s, 1).Resize(areaRows, areaCols).Value = a
            End If
        Next
    End With
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Hopefully I have followed the directions correctly. Still only sorting one direction largest to smallest. Thank you for pluggin away at this pest. Enjoy your weekend.

Upvote 0
I've been watching this thread and saying nothing lately. Fluff is better at this stuff then me I believe. The main thing is the way I see things are this. The first step is to have the userform popup. The second thing is to select one of the three buttons depending on what you want to do. And then the code in that button will run. Ascending data goes in ascending button and descending data goes in descending button. I'm not sure why you have all the if functions.

Upvote 0
The code and ifs sort by grouping 3 rows together. So it starts at line 6 and groups 7,8,9 skips 10 groups 11,12,13 skips 14 etc....and repeats down the page for the first 5 columns while sorting based on a value found in column 4 of every group. Its not just sort everything in the column its has to group the rows also. The code woks flawless and it works perfectly with the vbyesno but not with a userform button set

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not sure I can help but I would like to see the code that you say works perfectly. The I'll see if I can help. I like trying to solve challenges.

Upvote 0
This is the code that works perfect but uses vbyesno for the popup to select the options. Was wanting to ditch that part for a userform with 3 buttons Ascending | Descending | Cancel

Code:
Sub SortAreas()
    Dim i As Long, j As Long, startRow As Long, areaRows As Long, areaCols As Long, sortKeyCol As Long, sortAscending As Boolean
    Dim a, s As Long
    startRow = 6
    areaCols = 5
    areaRows = 3
    sortKeyCol = 4
    If MsgBox("Do you want to sort grades ascending or descending?" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "Click [Yes] for ascending" & vbCrLf & "Click [No] for descending", vbYesNo, "Sort by?") = vbYes Then
        sortAscending = True
    Else
        sortAscending = False
    End If

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    With ActiveSheet
        For i = startRow To .Cells(.Rows.Count, sortKeyCol).End(xlUp).Row Step areaRows + 1
            s = 0
            a = .Cells(i, 1).Resize(areaRows, areaCols).Value
            For j = i + areaRows + 1 To .Cells(.Rows.Count, sortKeyCol).End(xlUp).Row Step areaRows + 1
                If s = 0 Then
                    If sortAscending Then If .Cells(j, 1).Resize(areaRows, areaCols)(1, sortKeyCol).Value < a(1, sortKeyCol) Then s = j
                    If Not sortAscending Then If .Cells(j, 1).Resize(areaRows, areaCols)(1, sortKeyCol).Value > a(1, sortKeyCol) Then s = j
                Else
                    If sortAscending Then If .Cells(j, 1).Resize(areaRows, areaCols)(1, sortKeyCol).Value < .Cells(s, 1).Resize(areaRows, areaCols)(1, sortKeyCol).Value Then s = j
                    If Not sortAscending Then If .Cells(j, 1).Resize(areaRows, areaCols)(1, sortKeyCol).Value > .Cells(s, 1).Resize(areaRows, areaCols)(1, sortKeyCol).Value Then s = j
                End If
            Next
            If s > 0 Then
                .Cells(i, 1).Resize(areaRows, areaCols).Value = .Cells(s, 1).Resize(areaRows, areaCols).Value
                .Cells(s, 1).Resize(areaRows, areaCols).Value = a
            End If
        Next
    End With
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not able to figure out what the Descending portion of this script is trying to do. It does not just sort them descending it's got a lot of if statements I don't understand. I ran the script without the Userform and do not understand what's it doing.

Upvote 0
made a brief video if it working with the vbyesno buttons

How is should be working :) - YouTube

would have shared it with the video tags but they dont work

ignore the last bit about the zero brain fart should have been six :) or eight cant recall now

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Should have had a better look at your code, on the following line remove the portion in red
Code:
Dim i As Long, j As Long, startRow As Long, areaRows As Long, areaCols As Long, sortKeyCol As Long[COLOR=#ff0000], sortAscending As Boolean[/COLOR]
This value is currently being declared twice which is causing the problem

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back