Username and Passwords on a Worksheet

sprucethebruce

Board Regular
I don't really know where to start with this problem.

I want to be able to track who is entering data into a spreadsheet. Ideally everyone (around 50 people) has their own username and password and they have to enter this to access the spreadsheet and once they access it, there name is stored along with date and time.

Is there anyway to attach a username and password function to excel and then to make it work ina manner I describe.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
I've actually just thought of one more thing which I don't think will be too much trouble for you.

For me, yes, lots of trouble but hopefully it'll be a quick line of code for you.

Once someone logs on, is there a way of there name being placed in a cell (A1 at first then once thats filled, the next cell underneath and so on)and then not being able to be deleted, if the deleted bit is a problem I can just put it in a cell with white text and they will never know they are being logged.

Upvote 0
I did something very similar a while back, I had a sheet called Smart Match Log which I populated with the data then locked at the end:

Code:
If Sheets("DataMonth").Range("A" & Y).Text = SMListVar Then
    Sheets("Smart Match Log").Range("A" & LogNum).Formula = "Artist: " & Sheets("DataMonth").Range("A" & Y).Formula
    Sheets("Smart Match Log").Range("B" & LogNum).Formula = SmartReplacement
    Sheets("Smart Match Log").Range("C" & LogNum).Formula = Sheets("DataMonth").Range("E" & Y).Formula
    Sheets("Smart Match Log").Range("D" & LogNum).Formula = CurrentUser
    Sheets("Smart Match Log").Range("E" & LogNum).Formula = DatabaseUserName
    Sheets("Smart Match Log").Range("F" & LogNum).Formula = Date
    Sheets("Smart Match Log").Range("G" & LogNum).Formula = Time
    LogNum = LogNum + 1
End If

I used the above and looped through my changes (Lognum increasing each time) this way I not only logged who they are but what they did and more importantly, when they did it :).

At the end I outputted the sheets to a new file (I am a big fan of storing sheets off as text, formulas removed, almost a snapshot of data really but it keeps them small if there are no formulas)

Once that was finished the sheet was locked and password protected with:

Code:
ActiveSheet.Protect "S8M3_kEy"

Hope that helps in some way

Dan

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristineC

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back