Using a cell containing a sheet name in a formula to pull from that worksheet

VN5968

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello. I have created a Macro that creates a new worksheet based on a range of cells. So in row 5 I have all the weeks e.g. 01.04.21 and this has automatically set up a new worksheet called 01.04.21.
Is there a way I can use the cells in row 5 in a formula so each column pulls information from the worksheet named in row 5 of that column.

1618498604401.png

each of these dates above have created a worksheet named the same. Is there a formula or VBA code that I can put in that says look at A5 (the date), find the worksheet with the same name and tell me what is in K20 on that worksheet?

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Thanks Joe. I am a little lost as to what the "range Data" or "name" is referring to on sheet 1? Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Thanks Joe. I am a little lost as to what the "range Data" or "name" is referring to on sheet 1? Any ideas?
You said that you wanted to pull cell "K20" from that sheet, right?
Then that value would just be "K20".

INDIRECT may make more sense if you approach it this way.
You can manually create a reference to the cell you want (just type in an equal sign, and go to the sheet and cell you want and hit ENTER).
You can view this reference to see what it looks like.
Now, create a formula that "builds" this reference so it matches exactly (pulling from the cell with the date/sheet name in it, and hard-coding the range).
Once you have it looking exactly the way you need it to, surround that formula in the INDIRECT function to convert it from a string to a valid reference.

Upvote 0
Here is what I have typed but it is coming up as #REF! C5 being the name of the sheet (01.04.21) and K20 being the cell from 01.04.21 that I want to sum. Have I missed something?

1618500895425.png

Upvote 0
K20 need to be in-between double-quotes!
Otherwise you are pulling the value from K20 on that sheet in building your reference.

As I recommended, try building it without the INDIRECT first to make sure that you have it working correctly, i.e.
compare what this returns (what you had):
Excel Formula:
="'"&C5&"'!" & K20
with this:
VBA Code:
="'"&C5&"'!K20"
The second one builds the reference exactly the way you need it to look.
So then just enclose it in the INDIRECT function.

Note, I am not sure why you are adding the SUM function to the equation. That should not be necessary.

Upvote 0
Solution
K20 need to be in-between double-quotes!
Otherwise you are pulling the value from K20 on that sheet in building your reference.

As I recommended, try building it without the INDIRECT first to make sure that you have it working correctly, i.e.
compare what this returns (what you had):
Excel Formula:
="'"&C5&"'!" & K20
with this:
VBA Code:
="'"&C5&"'!K20"
The second one builds the reference exactly the way you need it to look.
So then just enclose it in the INDIRECT function.

Note, I am not sure why you are adding the SUM function to the equation. That should not be necessary.
Perfect! thanks for all your help Joe. I have taken the SUM function out as well

Upvote 0
You are welcome. Glad I was able to help.

Yes, since you are only pulling back one number, there is no need for the SUM function. That is used to sum up multiple values/ranges.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cancansova

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back