using a variable in a formula

jordanburch

Office Version
  1. 2016
Hey Guys,

I have looked at other threads but just cant seem to figure it out

Range("ao2:ao6000").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Formula = "=+MATCH(RC[-1],'MAY FY20 IDARRS'!C[6],0)"

I have the above formula I am trying to replace the MAY FY20 IDARRS with

ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Variables").Range("A7").Value & " " & ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Variables").Range("A3").Value & " IDARRS"

I have what the variables are below.
data_wbk3 = Right(data_wbk2, 5)
'ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Variables").Range("A2").Value = data_wbk3
'data_wbk1 = "FY" & Right(data_wbk3, 2)
ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Variables").Range("A3").Value = data_wbk1
data_wbk7 = Left(data_wbk3, 3)
'ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Variables").Range("A7").Value = data_wbk7

data_wbk2 = InputBox("Enter month I.E. 08-MAY20", Default:="08-MAY20")
'ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Variables").Range("A1").Value = data_wbk2

any help is greatly appreciated!

Jordan

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
It looks like you want:

Code:
Range("ao2:ao6000").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Formula = "=+MATCH(RC[-1],'" & data_wbk7 & " " & data_wbk3 & " IDARRS'!C[6],0)"

Upvote 0
Perhaps (omitting the Variables sheet)

VBA Code:
Dim myDate As String
myDate = InputBox("Enter month I.E. 08-MAY20", Default:="08-MAY20")

Range("ao2:ao6000").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).FormulaR1C1 = "=MATCH(RC[-1],'" & Mid(myDate, 4, 3) & " FY" & Right(myDate, 2) & " IDARRS'!C[6],0)"

Upvote 0
It looks like you want:

Code:
Range("ao2:ao6000").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Formula = "=+MATCH(RC[-1],'" & data_wbk7 & " " & data_wbk3 & " IDARRS'!C[6],0)"
so would it be like this instead?

Range("ao2:ao6000").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Formula = "=+MATCH(RC[-1],'" & ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Variables").Range("A7").Value & " " & ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Variables").Range("A3").Value & " IDARRS'!C[6],0)"

is that how it should look? Im trying to avoid using the data_wbk variables because excel forgets them and I have them stored on the variables sheet.

Thanks Rory!

Upvote 0
Im trying to avoid using the data_wbk variables because excel forgets them and I have them stored on the variables sheet.
Variables are only 'forgotten' when the code ends, with what you're attempting that shouldn't be a problem, however if it is, you could change Dim to Static in my suggestion (post 3).

Upvote 0
thanks Jason and Rory. You both got me on the right track. This has worked

Range("ao2:ao6000").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Formula = "=+MATCH(RC[-1],'" & ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Variables").Range("A7").Value & " " & ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Variables").Range("A3").Value & " IDARRS'!C[6],0)"

I appreciate both your responses and help

Upvote 0
FWIW, you should really be using FormulaR1C1 rather than Formula.

Upvote 0
FWIW, you should really be using FormulaR1C1 rather than Formula.
Range("ao2:ao6000").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).FormulaR1C1 = "=+MATCH(RC[-1],'" & ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Variables").Range("A7").Value & " " & ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Variables").Range("A3").Value & " IDARRS'!C[6],0)"

so you mean like that? why is that?

Upvote 0
It might work, but you shouldn't need the 'Variables' sheet, vba is capable of holding all of the necessary variables for as long as they are required. I thought the same as you when I first started with vba, I also found that bad habits lead to more bad habits :eek:

If you're not using the variables outside of the current 'macro' then all should work fine with standard declarations. If you need them to work with other procedures (macros) then you would need to declare them at either module, or workbook level (see link below)

Upvote 0
It might work, but you shouldn't need the 'Variables' sheet, vba is capable of holding all of the necessary variables for as long as they are required. I thought the same as you when I first started with vba, I also found that bad habits lead to more bad habits :eek:

If you're not using the variables outside of the current 'macro' then all should work fine with standard declarations. If you need them to work with other procedures (macros) then you would need to declare them at either module, or workbook level (see link below)

thanks for your insight. I looked and looked and it seemed I could only do it inside a sheet. I need to to remember the variable even if I closed the workbook and this has seemed to work. so instead of DIM use Static and that would solve my issue?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back