Using Access to fill out a form

AntMac

Board Regular
I have all the tables and querys I need to get all the numbers, now I would like to present the numbers in a beautiful non access restricted tabular format. I have a couple of options and I would take any that works. The problem is I can't see how to create a report in a reasonable amount of time that resembles the form. The form I'm using I have a fillable pdf version of the form already. I'm just trying to see how to get access to fill out the field based on the record(s) that are selected. Anyone know how to do this? Or I'd be ok with if I can make the access report get created from the pdf form then I can make the fields myself if it looks like it resembles the form.

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
if I can make the access report get created from the pdf form
Never heard of doing this - don't see how you could.

If you have a pdf form, Access can populate the form fields, but I don't know if you need Adobe Acrobat (not Reader). One of the keys is to know the names of the form fields, and I don't know if that's exposed with Reader. I've never done this, just read about it. Otherwise, you can replicate the pdf form and use an Access report. I have done this for a complex bill of lading but it took time to replicate it faithfully.

Upvote 0
Never heard of doing this - don't see how you could.

If you have a pdf form, Access can populate the form fields, but I don't know if you need Adobe Acrobat (not Reader). One of the keys is to know the names of the form fields, and I don't know if that's exposed with Reader. I've never done this, just read about it. Otherwise, you can replicate the pdf form and use an Access report. I have done this for a complex bill of lading but it took time to replicate it faithfully.

I have seen it on the internet which makes me believe it's doable. Now I'm at the point where I'm like help!!!! lol I have a full version of Adobe so I can see what the field names are and even change them if I need to. That's all the easy part. I have seen that VBA can make it done but I'm not totally sure how to use the VBA. I was actually hoping there was an easy way to use a PDF or word or excel some other type of file as the layout for a report and then I can create the fields as I want them. This seemed like it wouldn't be so much of an extreme function but searches have proved me wrong. When you said that it's time consuming is what has me worried. Creating reports to look how I want them (emphasis on the look how I want them part) is already time consuming for me for simple reports. So, I am here mostly to look for resources or a person smarter than me at that who can help with it. But if that's the only option how can I go about it? If you want an example we can use a Schedule A 1040 (Tax form) as an example.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was able to get the picture added as a background. But now I can't add fields anywhere on the report. It limits me to a tabular column layout. This is why it's hard for me to design reports like I would like to. I hope this is just a setting that I don't know to turn on or off but this is the major reason I need help with reports.

Upvote 0
Possibly you can print the form and then it would look like the form that way too.

Upvote 0
Possibly you can print the form and then it would look like the form that way too.

Right now the only problem is I can't figure out in Access 2016 how to remove the stacked/tabular form. When I add a field it wants to add them all in tabular form rather than letting me drag them to the spot on the form where I want it. If I can do that then I think your idea is what I'm looking for.

Upvote 0
It used to be once you added a field you could move it around afterwards, anywhere you wanted.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drewmorgan128

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back