Using ActiveX TextBox and Combo box to create Dynamic Search Function

Jords998

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, I'm pretty new to VBA & I was looking for a little help on a project.

I'm creating a date entry form / flat file database to save customer details. The file contains 33 columns of data starting at D22 and ending at AJ7000, I would like the search function to only look at a specific column based on a drop down list using an ActiveX combo box. I have created the drop down & linked this to cell B16. The Text Box is linked to cell B20.

I know I'm after something like -
If B16 = Customer Name set range to D22:D7000
If B16 = Customer Address set range to E22:E7000.
If D22 does not contain B20 value then hide row
Next row.

What VBA would I need to do this? I would like the the search function to hide any rows where the cell in the column selected doesn't contain the value in B20. I hope this makes sense :)

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Hi, I'm pretty new to VBA & I was looking for a little help on a project.

I'm creating a date entry form / flat file database to save customer details. The file contains 33 columns of data starting at D22 and ending at AJ7000, I would like the search function to only look at a specific column based on a drop down list using an ActiveX combo box. I have created the drop down & linked this to cell B16. The Text Box is linked to cell B20.

I know I'm after something like -
If B16 = Customer Name set range to D22:D7000
If B16 = Customer Address set range to E22:E7000.
If D22 does not contain B20 value then hide row
Next row.

What VBA would I need to do this? I would like the the search function to hide any rows where the cell in the column selected doesn't contain the value in B20. I hope this makes sense :)
I should have also mentioned I would like to unhide all rows in the data range if B20 is blank. I have a button linked to a macro to clear the contents of both B16 and B20

Upvote 0
It would be easier to help if you could use the XL2BB add-in (icon in the menu) to attach a screenshot (not a picture) of your sheet.
Alternately, you could upload a copy of your file to a free site such as www.box.com or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here. Explain in detail what you want to do referring to specific cells, rows, columns and sheets using a few examples from your data (de-sensitized if necessary).

Upvote 0
It would be easier to help if you could use the XL2BB add-in (icon in the menu) to attach a screenshot (not a picture) of your sheet.
Alternately, you could upload a copy of your file to a free site such as www.box.com or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here. Explain in detail what you want to do referring to specific cells, rows, columns and sheets using a few examples from your data (de-sensitized if necessary).
I have uploaded a de-sensitized version to box.com here Example File

For reference, ComboBox1 is now Cell B12 and the TextBox1 is now B13.

I would like the ComboBox1 to filter the search area to a single column, then TextBox1 to filter that column based on cells that contain the string entered.

I would also like the Clear Contents Button to remove the existing filter & display all results.

Please ignore all the wacky code that doesn't really have a purpose, its basically Frankenstein as I have found pieces of code online & put them together ?

Upvote 0
This macro will do the filter based on B12 and B13:
VBA Code:
Sub FilterData()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim fnd As Range
    Set fnd = Rows(20).Find(Range("B12").Value, LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlWhole)
    If Not fnd Is Nothing Then
        Range("D20", Range("AJ" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).AutoFilter fnd.Column - 3, Range("B13").Value
    End If
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub
This macro will show all the data and clear the filter criteria:
VBA Code:
Sub ClearData()
    Range("D20").AutoFilter
    Range("B12:B13").ClearContents
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
This macro will do the filter based on B12 and B13:
VBA Code:
Sub FilterData()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim fnd As Range
    Set fnd = Rows(20).Find(Range("B12").Value, LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlWhole)
    If Not fnd Is Nothing Then
        Range("D20", Range("AJ" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).AutoFilter fnd.Column - 3, Range("B13").Value
    End If
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub
This macro will show all the data and clear the filter criteria:
VBA Code:
Sub ClearData()
    Range("D20").AutoFilter
    Range("B12:B13").ClearContents
End Sub
Works a treat, thank you very much :)

Upvote 0
You are very welcome. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back