Using an array to calculate in what year to build sport arenas

Waimea

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a data table with cities, build year, number of seats, need for seats and the current number of seats.

I am trying to calculate in what year a company should build sports arenas and in what city. I have read about static arrays and I know the size of my array.

However, I am not sure where to begin with how to manipulate the array.

Step1. Load range into an array
Step2. Sort array in the correct order (ex. 2011, 2016, 2020, 2025, etc).
Step3. Calculate the need for seats minus the number of seats being built in the corresponding year
Step4. Return result to a spreadsheet

Desired output:
We should build 2000 seats in City5 in the year 2027.

Data table:
Code:
[I]Column      2                        3                        4                 5                            6 [/I]
Number     City                    Need for seats     Build year     Seats being built     Current number of seats        
1               City1                  1500                  2020            2500                      2500   
2               City2                  7500                  2022            5500                      4500   
3               City3                  8500                  2023            4500                      5500   
4               City4                  3500                  2024            3500                      6500   
5               City5                  2500                  2026            7500                      8500

Last edited:
Wow that's quite an endeavour. I'm guessing there are many, many factors... population, building location, type and popularity of the team, general economy, age of the current building, estimated cost/benefit of the expansion, estimated building life, ownership finances/desires/support for expansion, current seat utilization etc, etc. I'm not sure that U will find a cookie cutter algorithmic approach. Studying historical data of what worked/didn't work in the past and the most salient contributing factors may be the best way forward. As an aside, I really don't understand how you arrived at "We should build 2000 seats in City5 in the year 2027" based on the data U supplied? I'm hoping others with more experience in this area will be able to give U some more direction/assistance. Good luck. Dave

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back