Using an instance of Excel in Internet Explorer

Leonard of Quirm

Board Regular
Hello all,
I have no experience of using Excel from within Internet Explorer, so any help would be much appreciated!

I have created a workbook containing a macro which has been uploaded to our intranet via a content management system. It is intended to be used by a community of users who activate the link which opens a copy of the workbook within Internet Explorer (rather than in Excel itself).

The workbook functions as follows:
1. Users select a value (let's call it X) from a drop down list in one of the cells and press enter.
2. Pressing enter activates a macro which unhides some hidden sheets and performs lookups using X and then returns the results (based on the lookups) on the original sheet visible to the user, after re-hiding all the lookup sheets.
3. Some supporting text is inserted on the original sheet to explain the results given for X.

Unfortunately, I cannot post my code. But is there some way in which I have to adopt my code to make it work within Internet Explorer (is this possible even)? As it is, nothing happens after performing step 1.

Many thanks,

Matt

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Hi,

You should not have to alter your code. If you are saving the file as an Excel workbook, even if you are viewing the spreadsheet in Internet Explorer, Excel is still running to display the spreadsheet and the VBA code runs in Excel, not in IE. If this is your situation, then the problem might be with your security settings. What is your macro security level in Excel?

If you are saving the spreadsheet as a web page, then the VBA will not be saved with it. You would need to take a different approach to programming a spreadsheet saved as a web page.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply Scifibum, but I've already come to a decision based on other findings.

It turns out that our internal system controls are set up so as to disable VBA code run from within the content management system so my initial requirements are kind of scuppered here. I think my best option is to redevelop the tool using conventional workbook based formulae, conditional formatting lookups etc. in order to achieve the same output but without any VBA support. This way, users will be able to use the functionality from the website without compromising my version control worries.

Thanks anyway.

Matt

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back