using calculated pivot table cells for further calculation

ease20022002

Board Regular
Hi,

I am having a problem with referencing pivot table (PT) calculated cells in one cell out side the PT. Basically, I want to sum a bunch of PT cells in one cell outside the PT.

The first problem is that I am trying to sum up several PT calculated cells in the other cell when doing this with the point and click method (mouse) and using the + sign after placing the = sign in the "other cell". When doing it this way, the GETPIVOTDATA (GPD) function then appears instead of the actual number when you just click on a PT cell, so when I try and add 8 PT cells together it references 8 GPD formulas. The problem here is that when you do this, you get the error stating too many characters in cell, etc. If I have to reference each cell without using the mouse pt and click method, this entire process will take me 3 hours. I was hoping there was a way to turn off the formula reference for normal cell references, i.e., =G10+Z10, not

=GETPIVOTDATA("Incurred Claim Count",DATA!$A$14,"RestatedStatus","C","ZeroDollar","N","Paid Ind","PAID","AQE",3,"AYQ","2002 04")+GETPIVOTDATA("Incurred Claim Count",DATA!$A$14,"RestatedStatus","C","ZeroDollar","N","Paid Ind","PAID","AQE",6,"AYQ","2003 04")

the destination cell contains the formula above, I only want the destination cell "other cell" to reference =G10+Z10...Anyone know how to do that?

Also, this is done for complex insurance triangles, there is no way to change what is being done b.c there are several fields that these numbers depend on. Triangles are a unique way of predicting future insurance losses, etc.

Thanks, for any help...

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Sorry I don't understand.

Do you have the individual GPD formulas in seperate cells and want them added up?

By the way what is an 'insurance triangle'?

Upvote 0
Hi,

Basically, if you set up a complex PT with many fields included and you want to add a bunch of the fields together, you can't because the the GPD function is too many characters. Looking at the example above you get the idea that if you wanted to add together 8 PT cells together, you would have 8 GPD functions in one cell, too many characters.

All I want to do is .... you know what...I will type in the reference to the cell...it will be easier b.c I don't think there is a solution...

Upvote 0
Why not have the text values like Incurred Claim Count" in cells and use references to the cells in the GPD's?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlburn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back