Using Cells to set range

NdNoviceHlp

Can't seem to get the right syntax for this. I'm trying to set a range for "C" to "F" for row "RoSpot". Dave

Code:
RowRange = Sheets("Sheet2").Range _
("Cells(RowSpot, 3): Cells(RowSpot, 6)")

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
As it is an Object variable, you need to use the Set keyword:

Code:
Set RowRange = Sheets("Sheet2").Range _ 
(Cells(RowSpot, 3), Cells(RowSpot, 6))

I have also removed the double quotes and replaced the colon with a comma. You are not using a string argument here.

Regards

Richard

Upvote 0
Many apologies Dave - that ably demonstrates the danger in simply assuming one is right:(

I must admit I couldn't get it to work using the range/cells way of specifying a range:(

The closest I could get was via:

Code:
Sub test2()

Dim dobbin As Range

Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(10, 1)).Name = "myRange"

Set dobbin = Range("myRange")

End Sub

There may be a simple reason as to why you can't do it as I had before, and hopefully someone with much more (&better!) knowledge than me will come back with the answer.

Richard

Upvote 0
I used to run into this all the time. Then I found out why: You need to specify the sheet for both cells. The cells(rowspot,3) is linked to Sheet2, but the cells(rowspot,6) does not have a sheet qualifier--so it is referring to whatever the activesheet is, by default.

If you leave your code as-is and run it with Sheet2 active, it should work.

If you want to run it and not worry about what sheet is active, you have to specify the sheet for each cell in the range (you can't have a range that has cells on different sheets).

Both of these statements do the same thing and are working for me:

Code:
Set RowRange = Sheets("Sheet2").Range(Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(RowSpot, 3), Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(RowSpot, 6))

Code:
With Sheets("Sheet2")
    Set RowRange = .Range(.Cells(RowSpot, 3), .Cells(RowSpot, 6))
End With

Upvote 0
Kristy you are an absolute star - you have prevented me from tearing all my hair out! I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work!

Thanks!

Richard

Upvote 0
Kristy both codes worked perfect! Thank you for that and the reason! I tried both routes for literally hours before I posted and it was starting to get on my nerves. Like you Richard, I just didn't get it. Thank you for your efforts as well. This part of this project involves selecting the largest value range C:F in a row that is determined by a listbox selection(rowspot). So I'll post the other line of code you need to do this just for posterity. Dave
Code:
MaxRow = Application.WorksheetFunction.Max(RowRange)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennimack

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back