Using code to rename a cell

Graham C1600

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Hi,
I inherited a spreadsheet which uses code to extract data from an MPP plan and import into Excel. It works fine but just needs a couple of little tweaks.

Firstly there is some code to rename the Excel Spreadsheet which is as follows :-
Else
Sheet.Range("B3").Value2 = "Technical Implementation Plan" + Trim(Worksheets("Control Panel").Range("E5").Value2)
Sheet.Range("B2").Value2="Galaxy Programme"

I want this code to put into B3 the words "Technical Implementation Plan" then add what it says in cell H6 on the same sheet.

Secondly there is some code to change the colour of some fonts which looks like this :-
Else
If Task.Text20 = "Black" Then
Sheet.Cells (i, 8).Font.ColorIndex = 1

This is all working fine but is there a way to instead of change the colour of some text, actually fill in the cell where the text is ?

Hope this all makes sens.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Hi Graham,

the changes may look like these:
VBA Code:
'...
Else
  With Sheet
    .Range("B3").Value2 = "Technical Implementation Plan" & Trim(.Range("H6").Value2)
    .Range("B2").Value2 = "Galaxy Programme"
  End With
'...
and
VBA Code:
'...
Else
    Sheet.Cells(i, 8).Interior.Color = vbBlack
'...
You would need to change the colour of the font to some light colour in case you want to use black as background.

Ciao,
Holger

Upvote 0
Hi Graham,

the changes may look like these:
VBA Code:
'...
Else
  With Sheet
    .Range("B3").Value2 = "Technical Implementation Plan" & Trim(.Range("H6").Value2)
  End With
'...
and
VBA Code:
'...
Else
    Sheet.Cells(i, 8).Interior.Color = vbBlack
'...
You would need to change the colour of the font to some light colour in case you want to use black as background.

Ciao,
Holger
Hi,

The code to change the colour works fine.

I'm getting an error on this one :-
With Sheet
End With

When I try to run it I get a Compile Error : Block If without End If. It then highlights an End Sub on the page with loads of other code.

Any ideas how to resolve this ? Hope it's simple.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi Graham C1600,

the compiler states that you started an If-Clause, maybe added an Else or ElseIf but didn´t put in an End If for that clause. If the code worked before maybe you deleted that statement when copying in the code.

If you can´t put in the code here for us to look at it you should try and make good use of indention of the code in order to make it obvious which parts oif the code belong together.

Sorry but can´t help without looking at the entire code.
Holger

Upvote 0
Hi Graham C1600,

the compiler states that you started an If-Clause, maybe added an Else or ElseIf but didn´t put in an End If for that clause. If the code worked before maybe you deleted that statement when copying in the code.

If you can´t put in the code here for us to look at it you should try and make good use of indention of the code in order to make it obvious which parts oif the code belong together.

Sorry but can´t help without looking at the entire code.
Holger
I'm unable to copy all the code but the section giving errors is as follows :-
If Backout Than
Sheet.Range ("B3").value2 = "Backout Plan"
Sheet.Range ("B2"). value2 = "Galaxy"
Else
With Sheet
.Range("B3").value2 = "Technical Implementation Plan - " + Trim(.range("H6").value2)
.Range("B2").value2 = "Galaxy"
End with

This is giving the following error - Compile Error Invalid or unqualified reference and highlights this from the code (in red)- Trim(.range("H6").value2)

Upvote 0
Hi Graham C1600,

from the sniplet you posted you would need to add an End If at the very end of the code
VBA Code:
If Backout Than
  With Sheet
    .Range("B3").Value2 = "Backout Plan"
    .Range("B2").Value2 = "Galaxy"
  End With
Else
  With Sheet
    .Range("B3").Value2 = "Technical Implementation Plan - " + Trim(.Range("H6").Value2)
  End With
End If
HTH
Holger

Upvote 0
Since this code only relies to Sheet you may also alter the code to read
VBA Code:
With Sheet
  If Backout Than
  Else
    .Range("B3").Value2 = "Technical Implementation Plan - " + Trim(.Range("H6").Value2)
  End If
End With
And as Range("B2") will be the same value you may put that line directly under With Sheet and delete both of the lines in If..Else..End If.

Ciao,
Holger

Upvote 0
Since this code only relies to Sheet you may also alter the code to read
VBA Code:
With Sheet
  If Backout Than
  Else
  End If
End With
And as Range("B2") will be the same value you may put that line directly under With Sheet and delete both of the lines in If..Else..End If.

Ciao,
Holger
Hi,
Works a treat so thanks for that. Last query on this.
So I'm using this - .Range("B3").Value2 = "Technical Implementation Plan - " + Trim(.Range("H6").Value2) + Trim(.Range("H7").Value2).
This gives me back sausagebacon.
My question is how do I get it to display sausage - bacon ? How do I insert the -

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi Graham C1600,

when I´m working with Strings I use the ampersand and when adding numbers the plus sign. VBA can handle the plus sign to concatenate strings as well...

Add a string as a divider between the values of the cells like
VBA Code:
.Range("B3").Value2 = "Technical Implementation Plan - " & Trim(.Range("H6").Value2) & " - " & Trim(.Range("H7").Value2)
Ciao,
Holger

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi Graham C1600,

when I´m working with Strings I use the ampersand and when adding numbers the plus sign. VBA can handle the plus sign to concatenate strings as well...

Add a string as a divider between the values of the cells like
VBA Code:
.Range("B3").Value2 = "Technical Implementation Plan - " & Trim(.Range("H6").Value2) & " - " & Trim(.Range("H7").Value2)
Ciao,
Holger
Many thanks for all your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oculus

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back