using conditional format to compair 2 vlookup results

Buzzed

I am trying to build a check and balance into a certificate of conformance (C of C) form. the form is based upon lot number and uses vlookup to populate appropriate cells. I have the ability to list the results for 3 lots on the is form.

what I want to do is to use conditional formating to color a cell red if the 2 and/or 3 lot entered are not from the same product set.

Eg. C13 has the vlookup result for lot #1 which is also the "title" for the C of C. the lot #2 and lot #3 results are listed in a table along side the results of lot #1 below. Results include lot number, and all of the various tests we conduct like thickness, weight, etc. and the specification for lot #1

the way it stands right now, lots #2 and #3 could be different products and unless reviewed by the author, could go out to the customer with erroneous information.

I am looking for a simple conditional format formula to compare the result of lot #1 vlookup against lots #2 and #3. I have tried =c13=j27 (j27 is my test area for now) and =c13<>j27 and they don't work. Any other ideas?

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
I'm sure this is do-able, but it just isn't clear from your post, what exactly you want to do.

Can you give us some examples of the actual data that you are using, and how exactly you want to check it?

Upvote 0
Perhaps I complicated things too much. What I am trying accomplish is this:

cell A1 is where I enter lot #1, B1 returns the product name for lot #1 via vlookup.
cell A2 is where I enter Lot #2, B2 returns the product name for lot #2 via vlookup.
If the result in B2 is equal to B1, then B2 remains white.
If the result in B2 is not equal to B1, then B2 turns red.

Upvote 0
Ok, I closed out of the file and opened it and now the =c13 conditional format works. why did it not work before?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cancansova

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back