Using Data Validation Drop Down, Dynamic Ranges, Lookups, and Data Sheet to Build Report

AlexB123

Board Regular
Hi all,

I am working to automate as much of a report as possible. The data will be exported directly to excel, and the data sheet will be manipulated to create a main table that drives all summary views. Originally, I planned to use the indirect function to make the lookups simpler, but haven't been able to tie in very well. I have built the summary table(s), but when I change the dropdown value and activate the lookups, it pulls data but loses some information.

How can I improve this technique? My goal is to be able to create one summary table, make four copies of the tab and then create all five summary tables simply by changing the dropdown. Once everything is verified, I intend to copy each sheet's data and paste as values before turning in a finished product.

See the following link (from last night) on my dynamic ranges. I will paste all below.

Thanks for any input!

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-...-ranges-pulling-data-sheet-rest-workbook.html

NOTE: I used choose + lookup tables to overcome differences in the text output from my database.

total_custmrs201512012016010120160201YTD Change% YTDindicator
type_payor100000200000300000200000200%increas.
managed10000200003000020000200%increas.
mbd1000200030002000
200%

<tbody>
</tbody>
increas.
ncf100200300200
200%

<tbody>
</tbody>
increas.
other10203020
200%

<tbody>
</tbody>
increas.
subtotal111,110222,220333,330222,220
200%

<tbody>
</tbody>
increas.

<tbody>
</tbody>

My formulas for this table are:

Code:
=INDEX(QTY,MATCH(1,($B$3=DESCRIPTORT)*(CHOOSE(MATCH($B$2,{"TOTAL_cstmrs","BRAND NEW_cstmrs ","EXISTING NEW custmrs","REACTIVATED NEW custmrs","LAPSED custmrs"},0),"TOTALcstmrs","BRANDNWcstmrs","EXISTNWcstmrs","REACTNWcstmrs","LAPSEDNWcstmrs")=DESCRIPTORV)*(C$3=SNPSHT)*(CHOOSE(MATCH($B4,{"MANAGED abc","ncx","mdx","OTHER"},0),"ncx/COMMERCIAL","mdx/PEND/SELF PAY","etc","OTHER")=DESCRIPTORI),0))

subtotal = sum(A3:A7)

Just let me know if this is not clear. It's late, and I'm exhausted. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back