Using DAX formular in Excel Pivtable

peter8848

Board Regular
Hi,

I have a data range with 4 columns but 80k rows. they are all text values. I would like to create a report like the below by using dax formular in data table pivot table "concatenatex "

Data Report
acbd
1​
aaaaaaaaaaaaaa
2​
bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
3​
cccccccccccccc
4​
ddaaaaaaaddddd
5​
eebbbbbbbeeeee
ReportPivot Table
acbd
1​
aaaabbbbcccc
2​
aaaaaaa
3​
bbbbbbb
4​
ccccccc
5​
ddddddd
6​
eeeeeee

However, using the youtube link above I can only select data report for 5000 rows and the data table pivot table will show "reading data" and end up with nothing after. Does anyone know why this is the case or Dax formular has got a limit of the rows for its data sheet?

thanks a lot

Cheers,

Peter

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Powerpivot has nearly no limit on amount of rows (it depends on your Office version 32bit or 64bit and the amount of available memory). It was build for big data, so I doubt that is the reason.

Your data can best be unpivotted first, that's a small job for PQ. So you'd have more rows, but only 1 measure to create.

I'm just wondering if the concatenation is not creating a too long string for Excel to display? So from your small sample I made a big one so the table holds over 7 Mio rows. And it still worked, though my screen became unreadable.

Maybe check if your Office version is a 32bit or a 64bit.

Upvote 0
Powerpivot has nearly no limit on amount of rows (it depends on your Office version 32bit or 64bit and the amount of available memory). It was build for big data, so I doubt that is the reason.

Your data can best be unpivotted first, that's a small job for PQ. So you'd have more rows, but only 1 measure to create.

I'm just wondering if the concatenation is not creating a too long string for Excel to display? So from your small sample I made a big one so the table holds over 7 Mio rows. And it still worked, though my screen became unreadable.

Maybe check if your Office version is a 32bit or a 64bit.
Hi GraH,

Thanks for your reply. It works from row 1 to row 5000 but not for row 1 to row 6000. However if I use from Row 3500 (made it same as title like row 1 in the previous example) to 7000 it still works. It looks like the attachment again when i select row 3500 to 9000. very strange..... Any help please.

Cheers,

Peter

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    4.8 KB · Views: 7
Upvote 0
Looks like the data is calculated but the pivot can't display the result. I believe the sequence is reading data then populating fields or something of the sorts.
How long are your text fields?
And maybe you can do this easier in Power Query. Then the field also gets truncated at the max length a cell can take. I'm guessing here, since I never use concatenation in PP.
Can you share some realistic, sanitized data via XL2BB?

Upvote 0
Looks like the data is calculated but the pivot can't display the result. I believe the sequence is reading data then populating fields or something of the sorts.
How long are your text fields?
And maybe you can do this easier in Power Query. Then the field also gets truncated at the max length a cell can take. I'm guessing here, since I never use concatenation in PP.
Can you share some realistic, sanitized data via XL2BB?
Hi GraH,

Thanks for your reply. The longest text in len() will be more than 40 so I am really not sure it would be a length issue. How would you do it from Power Query?

Cheers,

Peter

Upvote 0
Hi GraH,

Thanks for your reply. The longest text in len() will be more than 40 so I am really not sure it would be a length issue. How would you do it from Power Query?

Cheers,

Peter
Also what is XL2BB, sorry the real data is around 80MB so i guess it is hard to share? thanks

Upvote 0
40 is nothing... As length. Hmm, out of clues here.
See link in my signature for xl2bb.
In PQ you group on your dimension 1, 2,3
,4,5,.. adding aggregate allrows. Then do something like text.combine(table.column([All], "text col"), ",").
Without Excel for the moment. Can have a look later and make a demo with your sample.

Upvote 0
40 is nothing... As length. Hmm, out of clues here.
See link in my signature for xl2bb.
In PQ you group on your dimension 1, 2,3
,4,5,.. adding aggregate allrows. Then do something like text.combine(table.column([All], "text col"), ",").
Without Excel for the moment. Can have a look later and make a demo with your sample.
thanks mate. So do i still do it in excel right with the power query?

Cheers,

Peter

Upvote 0
Yeah, for sure.

Hoping this is the wanted result, because I did not get it from your first post how to make the expected result.
Book1
ABCDEFGHIJK
2ItemacbdItemText
31aaaaaaaaaaaaaa1aa,aaa,aaaa,aaaaa
42bbbbbbbbbbbbbb2bb,bbb,bbbb,bbbbb
53cccccccccccccc3cc,ccc,cccc,ccccc
64ddaaaaaaaddddd4dd,aaa,aaaa,ddddd
75eebbbbbbbeeeee5ee,bbb,bbbb,eeeee
Sheet1

Power Query:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Item", type text}, {"a", type text}, {"c", type text}, {"b", type text}, {"d", type text}}),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {"Item"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", {"Item"}, {{"All", each _, type table [Item=text, Attribute=text, Value=text]}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Text", each Text.Combine(List.Distinct([All][Value]), ","))
in
    #"Added Custom"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattDRT

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back