Using Embedded Excel Worksheets in Word

Donna O. Colby

I have a Word Template I created to produce an automated manual-type document. I need to link cells from one worksheet to another... :rolleyes: I create an unsaved worksheet in Excel, select the range and Edit\Paste Special in Word where I want the workbook/worksheet to appear (there are several of these worksheets throughout the document). I then select a formula cell in the embedded worksheet and choose Edit\Paste Special\Link from a different worksheet, created the same way in Excel and embedded in the Word Template, where I need to use that formula. I then receive a #REF error.

I'm using MS Office XP, have reinstalled the application and downloaded all available patches. I can't save the workbooks and link them separately because this document is handled by many outside contacts and needs to be self-contained.

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
this is only a suggestion not tested because your need are not knowm.
instead of copy paste an unsaved file why not insert saved excel spredsheet as an object in Word document. open new word document and see help
<Create a linked object or embedded object from an existing file>

extract
Click in the document where you want to place the linked object or embedded object.
On the Insert menu, click Object, and then click the Create from File tab.
In the File name box, type the name of the file you want to create a linked object or embedded object from, or click Browse to select from a list.
To create a linked object, select the Link to file check box.

Upvote 0
Don't I have to send the workbooks with the Word document when emailing it as an attachment? I need to simplify this task.

Upvote 0
it depends upon requirements. if all the tweaking isdone only by yuu hen it is enough only to send document periodically. If the user has to tweakyou have to send both. In your case you have to save both in your hardidisk.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harryls

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back