using empty cells in gradebook

pamc

Hi,
I am a teacher having trouble calculating grades when a grade is missing. I am using a gradebook template from microsoft's site. It keeps including the empty cell and counting it. The formula I'm using is this:
=(IF(SUM(F13:AF13),ROUND(SUM(F13:AF13)/$G$10,2),""))
I am using excel 97, and seem to have no luck getting the html maker to work with it. Can the formula ISEMPTY work with this? I am not too familiar with it...I would be glad to email the worksheet, since I can't get the html maker to work. Please let me know.

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Pamc,
When I enter the formula it seems to work just fine.

I put 80 in G10, 10 in F13, nothing in G13, and 30 in H13. This would indicate that I have earned 40 points out of 80, which results in a total of .50, or 50%. The formula doesn't care if things have been done or not - it just sums the values from F13 to AF13 and divides by the total in G10.

What types of values do you have, and what results are you getting?

HTH,
Colbymack

Upvote 0
Well, it's the G10 field. It's a sum of total points possible. I think that might be what I need to change. Just not have a sum?

Upvote 0
You could either not have it sum, or you could have a different field for each possible grade that is a summation of the current grade and all of the previous grades . . .that way, you get a progressive grade as time goes on, vs on single grade based on all potential grades (past, current, and future).

Another alternative would be to copy the cells for the potential points for the grades that have not yet occurred to another range, and then zero out the current range. That would stop those future items from affecting the current grade average. The only downside to that is that you need to re-insert them into the correct fields as you go along and are ready to score the next item.

Make sense?

Upvote 0
Thank you so much. I think I will change it to a different field for each grade. That's sounds like what I need. :biggrin:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back