Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
  3. 2016
  4. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
I’ll try to explain this as best I can…
<o:p></o:p>
I need to create a database of individuals and their associated team names, location, positions, contact details etc using Excel 2003. Unfortunately we do not have access to any database programs in work so Excel is the only option.
What I need is fairly complex and I’m not even sure Excel is up to the job but here goes anyway…
Basically, an individual can be a member of one or more of a specific number of teams. Also, there are two possible geographic locations for these teams, then further location-specific info within the geographic locations (e.g. floor, wing, internal telephone extension and e-mail address).
I need to create one “control sheet” with everybody’s details on – sorted in alphabetical order – but then have these people appear on separate sheets within the same workbook based on their location and the different teams they’re a member of.
The geographic locations are LH and TR, and they could be a member of any of the following teams; IR, HS, ULR, BEC or PCW.
I’m hoping to have a page each for the two locations (LH and TR) and on each page have buttons linking to lists for the individual teams in that site (IR, HS, ULR, BEC and PCW).
Ideally I’d like to only have to update people’s details on the control sheet and have those changes reflected across the other pages (as there are 200+ people on the list).
For example:
Person A, based in LH, member of IR, HS and PCW
Person B, based in LH, member of IR, HS, ULR, BEC, PCW
Person C, based in TR, member of HS
Person A would show up on the IR, HS and PCW pages under the LH location
Person B would show up on the IR, HS, ULR, BEC and PCW pages under LH
Person C would only show up on the HS page under TR.
If Person C then becomes a member of BEC I can “set” BEC against their name in the control sheet and they will then show up on both the HS and BEC pages under TR automatically.
No one will show up on a list for a team of which they are not a member, or in a location they are not based.
Does that make sense? Is it possible to achieve in Excel? If so how do you suggest I go about it?
I can use VBA if necessary and – at least as far as I know – there are no restrictions in place in terms of Excel functionality.
The only restriction is that this whole “database” needs to be kept in one workbook.
Thanks.

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
haha that sounds like business bs to me

Yeah, piled on with spades!!

Okay thanks guys. Some good suggestions there. maybe I'll be able to achieve this after all.

I'm off work until next week now but I'll give them a try on monday and hopefully can get something hacked together using pivot tables.

Thank you both again. I'll let you know how I get on.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back