using excel cell as pointer in a directory path

cotch

I have a few files all with the same name for a few different members of staff, so I save them in different paths to keep them separate.

eg

c:\documents\data\jo blogs\excelfile.xls
c:\documents\data\fred smith\excelfile.xls
c:\documents\data\jane jones\excelfile.xls

cells is the sheet contain the persons name

jo blogs
fred smith
jane jones

I want to be able to use this for others in the organisation and make it a simple as possible

Is there a way to use the cell contents in the path name (without opening the sheet first)

I know I can point to each cell in the other file and excel will use it but there must be a way of making this happen more automated by using the cell contents:)

Craig

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
So, your task is to open the file called excelfile.xls based on the cell you click on?

Upvote 0
Not quite, sorry

in cell a1 I have Joe Bloggs and I want to be able to retrieve data from the Joe Bloggs excelfile.xls to populate the sheet,
at the same time I want to retrieve data from the other members of staff to populate other tables in the same sheet

for instance hours worked for each, mileage traveled etc for each person in to one sheet.

Upvote 0
In theory you could use the INDIRECT function. But that function requires the other source file to be opened.

I would suggest, since you only have a limited number of persons, to make 1 sheet for each person. And hide/show the sheet(s) you need. The file will be bigger than optimal, but that is less of an issue than fully dynamic links.

Upvote 0
The three names are examples there is around 20 and if the staff change I want to be able to change the name in the sheet and create a new directory for them and the new data be used

INDIRECT would have worked but I dont want to have to open each sheet to reference it.

Upvote 0
Then I have no immediate solution, maybe other helpers have some suggestions.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back