Using Excel to assign a name to a geographical location using GPS coordinates

brooks02

I have 3 research sites (A, B and C) separated by a few miles that water quality is being taken at. Within each site there are 5 square plots. The boundary of each of the square plots is set by 4 GPS points, one for each corner (so 20 GPS points for each site, and 60 overall for the entire area). Each set of square plots are right next to each other, in a line running either north-south or east-west. Every time a water quality sample is taken from the middle of each of the plots, a GPS location is also taken at the same time with a separate handheld Garmin. In the end, I have two sets of data, one with water quality and one with Garmin GPS data. I am able to combine the data sets by matching up the time stamps for each. Right now I have to manually cut and paste Garmin GPS coordinates from the spreadsheet to Google maps to verify that the sample was taken from the correct location. Is there a way to have Excel look at a latitude and longitude, and tell me if that point is within the boundary of a plot and output the name of the plot? I have the GPS coordinates for each of the corners for each plot, as well as the GPS coordinates for the center of each of the plots.

Using Excel Mac 2011

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
As a GPS coordinate is just a pair of numbers, it's relatively easy to determine whether a value is within a bounded box of data.
I wrote something a while back to take an average fuel tank reading between two known GPS points on a circuit, but I can't find that right now. I'll have a nose and see if it's something that could be re-purposed.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back