using excel to keep running total

I am excel illiterate, so I'm hoping that someone out there can help me. I have set up a payroll spreadsheet using excel. I would like to keep a running total each month of sick time used, vacation time used, holiday time used, etc. Each employee has 7 cells to the right of their name each week, one for each day of the week. We use codes prior to the number of hours worked. For example, if someone is working a 10 hour day and they call in sick, we list it as S10. If they come in and work 2 hours and then go home sick, we would list it as W8+S2. Is there anyway to write a formula that will scan all of the cells for cells that contain an "S" and then count the number of hours after the S. I would appreciate any help I can get with this problem.

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
brilliantjimmyriddle said:
I am excel illiterate, so I'm hoping that someone out there can help me. I have set up a payroll spreadsheet using excel. I would like to keep a running total each month of sick time used, vacation time used, holiday time used, etc. Each employee has 7 cells to the right of their name each week, one for each day of the week. We use codes prior to the number of hours worked. For example, if someone is working a 10 hour day and they call in sick, we list it as S10. If they come in and work 2 hours and then go home sick, we would list it as W8+S2. Is there anyway to write a formula that will scan all of the cells for cells that contain an "S" and then count the number of hours after the S. I would appreciate any help I can get with this problem.
Hi brilliantjimmyriddle:

Welcome to MrExcel Board!

Let us see, if I have understood you correctly ...
y040209h1a.xls
ABCDEFGHIJ
1NameSunMonTueWedThuFriSatSickHours
2a088S8W8+S28810
3b106884W4+S404
Sheet9

Is this what you are looking for?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back