Using excel to keyword search/ as document index or database

JessicaH

Hi All

Firstly a big pre-emptive thank you to anyone who can help

So a quick bit of background – this is for work, and we have hundreds of procedures.
Although ideally these would all be kept in some sort of cloud dashboard/database or wiki or something – that is not happening anytime soon.
In the meantime, all the procedures are in windows explorer folders.
We recently had a complete overhaul and all our procedures were revised.
Now we have a lot of people struggling to find the procedures they are after.

Because the company covers different countries and includes many different skill sets – including lots people with very limited/basic computer knowledge, I wanted to create a solution which was user friendly and did the work for them.

So I wanted to use excel to create a page with a searchbox, where they could type in a keyword and bring up the relevant procedure

I have created a worksheet with a search box that lists the results, as per the instructions shown here.
https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/excel/4137-excel-create-a-search-box.html#a2

(My sample list of procedures is in column e, same as the instructions). I have now added a column F, which contains keywords relevant to the adjacent procedure name.
This is the content that I actually want to search. However, I want the results list to display the procedure name (column e) still.

e.g. if I search radio, and there are 5 procedures with that key word, but only 1 with the word radio in the title, I want my results list to display the names of the 5 relevant procedures
(Note that if 1 procedure had say radio and radiography, I do not need the name to display twice)

I would also like to have the search box and the result on a separate worksheet – so that users are only seeing the results, and not all the other data

Is it possible to have the list of results populate as the search box is being filled, rather than having to wait until you hit enter? (e.g. by the time I have typed ‘rad’ I am getting all the results for ‘radars’ and ‘radio’, but by the time I type radio, I have the radio relevant results before I hit enter)

As this is only a small sample, I also need to be able to add many further data rows to this and not lose my formula - do I do this with the fill handle? I gave it a go, and it doesn't seem to work searching the additional rows - I am not sure what is going wrong?

Is there a wait to make the (results) list sort alphabetically?

Also, please let me know if there is a better way to do this!

To pre-empt a few solutions that may be suggested:
CTRL+F
  • A lot of users aren't familiar
  • Would take too long to scroll through results - no time saving compared to searching windows explorer
Filters
  • Same as above, except it would be that the options in the filter list would be too many
Search files using Windows Explorer
  • To be effective would need to go to the top of the 'tree' and this would take too long to perform the search
Use Microsoft Access
  • Excel is considered advanced for a lot of users - Access has been vetoed as it would require too much training for users

Thank you, thank you thank you!

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back