Using FileDialog to open files from mapped Sharepoint drive

steve1964

Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

first time poster, although I have already been greatly assisted by posts here in the past.

I have a work SharePoint folder which I am syncing locally to my host machine, the sync folder name is as below:

C:\Users\myname\myworksitename\Documents\Business Support

I am then mapping this local sync point to drive letter "K". This is required to ensure all users in the business map to the Sharepoint folder in the same way and thus allow our macros to work without per-user personalisation.

When using FileDialog via VBA to access the files via the mapped drive letter, if the files have already been opened and are thus already sync'd locally, i.e., Status = "Available on this device", single or multi-select works fine.

If any file hasn't already been opened and is thus still online-only, i.e., Status = "Available when online", when accessing the files via the mapped drive letter, I receive the following message, which I have truncated to only show the pertinent element

An expected error is keeping you from copying the file. Error 0x80070032: The request is not supported

However, when accessing the files using VBA/FileDialog on the local sync-point - whether the files have been opened previously or not - they all open fine.

It appears that when accessing the file on the local sync-point the file is able to be pulled down from SharePoint onto my local machine (as I can see the status icon updating), however, when accessing the file from the mapped drive letter the file is not able to be pulled down from SharePoint onto my local machine. All of this happens internally within the FileDialog.Show command so there it appears there is nothing I can do to spoof or manage the file path.

Whilst I appreciate this looks like a Microsoft file-sync issue, I would be grateful if anyone has experienced the same and found a workaround.

I have full local admin rights on my machine and have full read/write access on the relevant Sharepoint folder.

Thanks in Advance

Steve1964

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Just giving this a bump in case anyone missed it first time round. Would be amazed if I were the only one with this issue.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back